Monday, November 3, 2008

What I'm Reading

I'm about half way through CATCH OF THE DAY by RITA winner (and my friend) Kristan Higgins. I love it! If you haven't read it, I'd recommend you run right out and buy it. COTD is a great story about an unlucky-in-love heroine who has one disastrous date after another while nursing a very public crush on the local Catholic priest. After a few laugh out loud dates, she stumbles into a relationship with an unlikely hero. I can't wait to read Kristan's other books!

I've also recently enjoyed books by my Casablanca sisters: The Wild Sight by Loucinda McGary, Romeo Romeo by Robin Kaye and Dating Da Vinci by Malena Lott. What do these books and COTD have in common? They're all contemporaries and are what I gravitate to as a reader and a writer. Some of my friends write paranormal, and I buy the books to support them. I read them and usually enjoy them, but if I didn't know the authors, I wouldn't be tempted. I've decided that it's my suspension of disbelief muscle. It's the one muscle in my body that's well toned. I have trouble making the leap from the world I live in to the paranormal world. Even though it's not my genre of choice as a reader, I have tremendous respect for paranormal authors because of the work that goes into the building a believable make believe world. I'm looking forward to reading my friend Kendra Leigh Castle's second book, Dark Highland Fire, next.

The other book I've really loved recently is Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas, who I met at RWA Nationals this summer when she signed my copy. This was Lisa's first foray into contemporary, and while it wasn't a true romance (until the very end) I really enjoyed the book. I'm looking forward to reading her second contemporary, Blue-Eyed Devil, soon.

What are you reading? Do you tend to gravitate toward one genre to the exclusion of all others? Or do you genre hop?