Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hats off to the Veterans

Taking a moment today to honor the veterans in my life! My dad served in Korea after the war, working on helicopters. He was drafted into the Army and found his life's work in the aviation maintenance profession. My father-in-law was a Flying Tiger in World War II. He was shot down over China and fought to survive for more than a month before being rescued. To this day, he refuses to eat rice. My husband is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer who served three tours of duty on aircraft carriers: the U.S.S. Saratoga, the U.S.S. Forestal and the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy, as well as tours at the Naval War College, Lajes Field in the Azores islands, and Rota, Spain.

I got to trot around with him for his last ten years in the Navy. We lived in Spain, Maryland and Florida. I met lots of veterans and their spouses who serve their country every bit as much as the active duty members do. Military people spend months and sometimes years separated from their loved ones to defend the freedom we take for granted every day.

Thank you to all who've served—past, present and future.