Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Yes, of course I voted! It was easier for me than most since the polling place is within walking distance of my house. Jake (my 10-year-old) went with me and came right into the booth with me to watch the whole thing. This is the first election our kids have had a real interest in. Going back to the endless primaries, Jake kept asking if we had a new president yet. He just couldn't believe the whole thing took this long (neither can the rest of us, right?) Emily watched the debates with interest and asked intelligent questions throughout the process.

Both the middle and elementary schools held elaborate mock elections. In both cases, Barack Obama was the winner, which is not surprising in this very blue state of Rhode Island. While most of us are thrilled the endless campaign is over, it has been an exciting election. We can only hope that better days are ahead for our country.

Update from yesterday: I finished Catch of the Day by my friend Kristan Higgins. I laughed, I cried, I LOVED it. Make sure you pick up a copy!