Thursday, February 24, 2011

Book Club: Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force

From Anne, who is delighted to be included among the “Whip Cracking Book Club Wenches”:

“EVERYONE LOVES A HERO” -- AND SO DO I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, there wasn’t one tennsy-tiny thing I didn’t love about Marie’s latest book! “ELaH” was a first class flight from that first “jolt” to the final “pinky swear” deal.

Cole and Olivia are “steal-your-heart” characters and their “almost-fairy-tale-esque” love story runs the full gamut of emotions. A wonderful secondary cast of characters fuels the strong quality to this storyline as well. The skillful writing flows naturally and the dialogue is delightfully realistic. High Fives for the choice of marvelous localities ranging from our nation’s capital to Chicago to San Francisco—and even a quick glimpse of Houston! Also, there was a welcomed surprise peek at a kinship between Olivia and Juliana, who found her HEA in “Love at First Flight.”

From way-too-many exes to dysfunctional family issues, “ELaH” will capture your attention and you’ll soon be cheering Cole and Olivia as they strive to overcome the stumbling blocks in their developing relationship. Their story is captivating, engaging, charming and, of course, generously threaded with sizzling hot romance (my favorite kind!). This book will flat-out appeal and satisfy romance readers. Once again, Marie has gifted us with a “keeper-shelf” addition.

Because I don’t want to spoil the book for any readers who haven’t read “ELaH”, here’s just a few highlights that made this latest gem special for me!

1. The to-die-for-work-of-art-hero, Cole (WOW, YUMMY, I WANT ONE FOR MYSELF!)
2. The alluring, talented Olivia, who is beautiful , quiet, shy, and reserved—who simply awakens, spreads her wings and takes flight
3. The powerful romance and the range of emotions shown and felt by both Cole and Olivia. Cole’s determination to support and aid Olivia in her artistic career was outstandingly portrayed.
4. Olivia’s “insistence” to drive that black Mustang GT (loved watching Cole squirm!)
5. The “pinky-swear” proposal
6. Did I mention the sizzle and heat?????

Share some of your favorites!

**Additional comments on “All Things Marie Force”:

In 2008, I discovered Marie’s marvelous writing! While searching Amazon.com for something new to read, I came upon a book entitled “LINE OF SCRIMMAGE” and was hooked. (The cover was an added incentive!) I devoured LOS (many times in the years since) and couldn’t wait for the next book by this new-to-me-author. I went to Marie’s website and read each and every word. I was caught up in the information there and captivated by Marie’s “The House that Jack Built” – a collection of 3 books, which are yet to be published. The first, “ Treading Water” is Jack’s story. Jack stole my heart from only the tidbits posted by Marie. I will never be satisfied until Jack gets his book, along with the other two, published. They are a must for my keeper-shelf. I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed and am praying that a smart publisher will wake up and get it done in the near future.

“Love At First Flight” came next and my addiction grew stronger. Marie’s “Fatal” romantic suspense e-book series intensified my love for this genre. Nick and Sam are among my very favorite characters and their books are just plain fun to read! I can’t wait for their September wedding. I’m eagerly awaiting the entire series in hard copy to be added to the dearly beloved keeper-shelf treasures. The “fixes” to my addiction continued in the form of more e-books entitled “True North” and “The Fall” – both of which are fantastic reads that I wouldn’t mind adding to that “shelf” as well!! I’m all about the “Real Thing” when it comes to my favorite books and colas!

Some time down the line, I’m fervently hoping for another peek and update on Ryan and Susannah, along with their little daughter, Hope – and maybe even some additional little Sandersons. Can you tell I’m a major fan of “LINE OF SCRIMMAGE?”

Last, but certainly, not least – For your wonderfully addictive stories, your unending generosities, your kindness and friendship, THANK YOU MARIE!!!

Keep’em coming – please!!!

APPLE SAUSAGE QUICHE
(An easy and delicious recipe that has become a standard for our family’s Christmas morning brunch, along with at least once a month, as well – fantastic reheated in the microwave, too!)

½ lb. sausage , cooked and drained well
15 oz. can sliced apples (frozen apples can be used)
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheese
1 tsp. salt
1 unbaked pie shell

Mix first three ingredients together. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Mix eggs, milk and salt together and pour over the apple-sausage mixture.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted well.



CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE
(Just because I love the combination of chocolate and raspberries, here’s a quick and easy but nonetheless tasty treat!)

1-Chocolate Pie Crust (6 oz.)
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can (14 oz.) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporate milk)
1 egg
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (reserve a few for garnishment)
Chocolate Glaze

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well.

Arrange raspberries on bottom of crust. Slowly pour cheese mixture over fruit. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool.

Top and spread evenly over cheesecake with Chocolate Glaze; chill. Garnish with raspberries. Refrigerate leftovers (if you have any!)

Chocolate Glaze: In small saucepan, over low heat, melt two (1 oz. each) squares semi-chocolate baking chocolate with ¼ cup whipping cream. Cook and stir until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat.

43 comments:

Mary G said...

-

Mary G said...

I read ELAH in one sitting. I didn't think you'd outdo Love At First Flight. It's everything a contemp should be - sexy, funny, emotional and an added feature - it was so romantic. I was alternately sighing, tearing up or just plain melting.

Page 96 98 - their first time

Page 130 - the first time she gets a good look at him close-up.So weet & funny.

Page 161 – wall sex

Page 202 – that scene with Jenny & Will saying “My radar’s getting a huge reading here.” LOL

Page 264 – "You making 3 grand or introducing me as your boyfriend? Not sure which part I liked best.”
How can you not love this guy?

Page 272 – it only took ten minutes to top yesterday.” - Sigh.

Page 291 – “Then I’ll have to make an appointment with your people just to have a nooner with you.” LOL

Page 300 – “If we take a cab, we have time for a quickie.”

Page 310- 311 –she’s driving his car – “You do have a way with a stick.”
“Are we still talking about the car?”

MY FAVES:
TOP OF PAGE 248
Her eyes were closed, her lips parted, and her hands open and resting on either side of her head. So complete was her abandon that Cole had to look away for a moment to keep from coming too soon.” Just wow.

TOP OF PAGE 249
and he let go - of his control, of his attempt to stay removed, of his plans to build a fence. He poured into her knowing he'd lost the battle and acknowledging that if she left him now, he's be ruined.

Lots of sticky notes in this book.

Marie Force said...

Thanks so much to Anne for such a LOVELY review of Everyone Loves a Hero. Wow. What a lucky author girl I am to have such wonderful reader friends. I had to read that intro twice because it was so awesome. THANK YOU for hosting today and for such wonderful thoughts about my book. I can't tell you what it means to me that my favorite readers have really connected with Cole and Olivia!

And Mary G. I love your sticky notes. You are such a faithful reader who knows what she loves! Thanks so much for all your highlights. I loved hearing what resonated with you!

Mary G said...

The whole book resonated. Those were just the highlights LOL.

krisgils33 said...

Crikey, there is not one single thing I could come up with that would convey even remotely what Anne said. So, can I just say "ditto" because her intro is sheer perfection!!!

Marie, the awesomeness that is your writing continues to astound me in a very, very good way. I'm so happy you got your chance AND that I found your books.

Not only does Everyone Love a Hero, but Everyone NEEDS to read this book! I loved every bit of it from cover to cover.

Jolene Allcock and Family said...

mmmm, sizzle and heat. Everything you said about this book sounds fantastic. I've taken several trips to Walmart (yes, that's the only place in my tiny town that carries books, k-mart too) to find this book. Hoping one of my trips will eventually pay off. That way when my husband looks online and sees my spending my books can hide within my groceries or supplies for the kids. It's hard to hide my book spending online. HaHaHa, I've had to get sneaky with my books.

Marie Force said...

Kris,
Thank you so much for such kind words! I am sooooo glad you liked it!

Jolene,
You won't find it at either of those stores. My publisher doesn't distribute to them very often. You can order it via Amazon or B&N.com and have it sent to your house. That might be the quickest way if you're remotely located. Thanks for trying!

debbie h said...

I love, love, love Marie's writing. I met her through Line of Scrimmage when I was fortunate enough to judge it in the Bean Pot contest for NE romance writers, I thought it should have made best book, her characters and her emotions will steal the show every time and then when you add in the amazing storyteller she is well that's a home run.
I also have read and loved her other novels
Way to Go Marie, keep on keeping on!!

Deb

Marie Force said...

Deb,
So nice to see you here! Thanks for popping in and for your kind words about my books! I love how we "met" through the Bean Pot Contest! I'm entered again this year for Fatal Affair. I love supporting my local chapter.

Hope all is well with you, and thanks again for reading!
xo
Marie

Alison said...

Love this book!!! As soon as I got this book I sat down to read it and didn't stop until it was done. I meant to re-read it for today so I'd have more specific examples of why its so awesome, but I didn't get around to the re-read.

I love Cole...how he defended her from the rude customer, his support of her art, and when he took her to San Fran. When he moved to be with Olivia...AMAZING!

BTW...I am apparently hanging out in the wrong airports, I've never seen a pilot as hot as Cole in any airport I've been in.

Olivia is great too. I could relate to her need to be out on her own after living with her parents for so long, since I too lived at home while going to college. I think she was very brave to change her major at the last minute!

Natasha needs to get her butt kicked...she made me so mad when she told all those lies to Olivia! GRRRRR!

I stumbled upon Marie's books while crusing Amazon looking for something new to read. I first read Line of Scrimmage and then Love at First Flight. From there on I was hooked...Marie is a must buy for me!

Tara said...

Wow, Anne, Thanks for the great intro to the book and ditto to your thoughts on Marie's writing. I can't wait to try the recipes too, yum!

I'll admit I have not yet read the book, and from what I have read I need to block some time because I won't want to put it down.

MaryG, your post makes me want to skip ahead to the pages you reference. It's going to be difficult not to peak.

Again, Marie, thanks for sharing your talent with us and for hosting this book club. I look forward to it every Thursday and have found some great new authors to enjoy.

Jolene Allcock and Family said...

Well, that's what I get for being in a small town. Thanks for the heads up, I have this problem a lot. Once in a while Walmart gives me a surprise in the book isle :) I just found Delirium there the other day and about passed out from excitement. I've been dying for an actual bookstore, but hubby said if by some miracle we got one, I should grab my stuff and move in 'cause that is where I'll be all the time. LOL, he knows me so well

oklanannie said...

Sorry to be late to the party but worked called unexpectedly and we're having thunderstorms with major lightning as well . . . and that doesn't set too well with computers!

I was wondering if there are any of you who think Olivia was way too immature for Cole and depended on him too much. I didn't think so - she is a bit younger but still a strong personality. Do you think she was the weaker character in the book? Again, I don't. I thought she and Cole complimented each other and "grew" their relationship timely and thoughtfully.

Be back later to see what's going on.

Mary G said...

LOL Tara
You won't want to peek. The magic was the literal & figurative foreplay that led up to those scenes.

Mary G said...

Hi Anne
Good question. I thought that while Olivia was less experienced than Cole, she certainly knew the score. I didn't see her as weaker either. I saw potential that became actuality. Theyay have been coming from different directions and Cole grew as well.

Mary G said...

BTW forgot to compliment Anne on the wonderful post. My feelings exactly & you said it so well.

Marie Force said...

Hi everyone,
Sorry to be in and out today. It's been crazy around here and we're supposedly on vacation!

Alison,
I enjoyed your thoughts on the book! I agree that Natasha needed a boot in the butt! Thanks for the auto-buy status!

Tara,
So glad to hear you look forward to book club every week. I love that. I do too! I am looking forward to getting done with my RITA judging books so I can refocus on book club reading. I got way off track this month!

Jolene,
Maybe you should OPEN a bookstore--LOL! That would show your hubby!

Anne,
Great question. I will look forward to hearing what people think. I can definitely see where you're coming from with that one. They were definitely at different stages in life when they met.

Mary,
I agree with you. No peeking. I always want to write peaking, which has such a different meaning, especially when we're talking about romance novels. LMAO!

Mary G said...

And ruin my beta reader rep!!

LOL on the peaking though.

Ronlyn said...

I'm slammed at work so popping in late:
Going straight to Anne's questions:
I was wondering if there are any of you who think Olivia was way too immature for Cole and depended on him too much.
-No, I don't believe Olivia was too immature for Cole. As Marie said, they were at very different points in their lives but her "immaturity" (which I'm changing to lack of experience in my mind) is a bonus rather than a detractor for their initial attraction. She wasn't "the same" as every other woman throwing themselves at him simply because of his celebrity. And, Cole found that appealing.

Alison said...

I don't think Olivia was immature...inexperienced, yes. I think her childhood with her mom's issues made her mature more quickly than some other twenty-somethings.

I agree her inexperience was probably very attractive to Cole...he had to pursue her rather than be pursued.

Amy in sunny CA said...

Loved, loved, loved Line of Scrimmage (can't tell you how many times I've read it!) and haven't had a chance to grab ELAH - it's on my major long to-do-list!

Mary, your review is great . . . I'm literally dying to get my hands on this book ! I've tried my local Target and no dice. The Borders closed awhile ago and I dread going to B&N. I guess I'll try Amazon. I sooooo need a little sizzle and spice in my life!

ps. The recipes sound yummy!

Alison said...

I've also had trouble finding new books at Wal-mart or Target...I still scope out their selection, but rarely do they have books I'm after.

Thank goodness I work 5 minutes a way from a Borders and a B&N!!

Marie Force said...

Unfortunately, my print books don't get picked up for Walmart or Target. I am mostly just in B&N, Borders (although not sure about that now), Books a Million and on Amazon.

Mary G said...

Amy
Thanks for the props but this is Anne's wonderful review. I just have more than 2 cents to say about the book LOL.

Like I didn't even need a bookmark becuase I read it straight through except for the swooning on page 248
I think that's the part where I got a hold of Marie to tell her I had tears in my eyes. Yes I'm a wimp.

Marie Force said...

Hi Ronlyn,
Sorry it's been a crazy day. We like it better when you are able to play with us! I agree that Olivia's inexperience was a big part of what attracted Cole to her. He found her refreshing after the frenzy of fame and women.

Hi Amy,
Hope you can find it somewhere in Sunny CA! If anyone can't find it at Borders or B&N, do let me know where the store is so I can report that to my editor.

oklanannie said...

I enjoyed doing this review! When you love the subject matter, it comes easily, don't ya think?

Another question: I noted on some other websites that some people think the "steam" can be overdone. How much and when is it "overdone" for you? I prefer some sizzle along with the storyline. Mind you, I haven't reached erotica by far BUT I do like some good hot chemistry. In romance, it would take alot to overdo it for me. However, I want it to balance a good love story.

windwarning said...

Had my fingers crossed most of the week but my shipment from BooksaMillion.com just arrived today. So I just got my ELAH copy like an 5 minutes ago. Why o why cant they go any faster when its a book? :)

Marie Force said...

Wind,
The beauty of book club is we'll still be here when you get it read and then you can chime in! Remember to send your photo with the book to be entered into the drawing for the $100 gift card!

Kara C said...

I'm sorry to be so late to the party! Pesky things like work and kids keep getting in the way.
Thank you to Anne for hosting this great book and Marie for writing it!
ONE of my favorite lines - "In the course of two or three minutes, he had ruined every future morning that didn't begin just like that." Or how about "Just when I think you two can't get any weirder, you top yourselves." LOL!
"Let's go to bed."
'When there's a perfectly good wall right here?' :-)
Ok, ok, so I said ONE of my favorite lines. I'll stop now.

Johanna R Jochum said...

What a wonderful book! I was worried I would not get it in time for your book club because I had to order it! I fell in love with Cole. He is so hot and sweet. He's a pilot too c'mon your killing us! LOL! I loved Olivia too. I could really relate to her life. I have only flown twice in my life and I'm 35! I lived with my till I was in my mid twenties too to take care of her. Your story was heartwarming and sexy at the same time. Its going on my keeper shelf! Thanks!

Ronlyn said...

what about the famous "Wow." LOL

darn it, work again...be back in a minute...

Ronlyn said...

apparently my work peeps didn't get the memo that today was book club day. *sigh*

Mary G said...

Another good question Anne. I read a lot of erotica too so my steam threshold is probably very high LOL.

IMHO I think that steam level balances might matter more in a rom susp. When people ask me what I'm reading, I tell them it's about people saving the world from terrorists and all other sorts of bad guys while having hot monkey sex. You don't ever want to have a moment where you're thinking
"They're doing it NOW?"

That's why I enjoyed Marie's books & Cynthia Eden's books, the romance was intertwined so well with the susp.

Marie Force said...

Kara,
I loved hearing about your favorite scenes and lines. Thanks for sharing after your busy day!

Johanna,
So glad you got your book in time for book club!

Ronlyn,
Your work peeps aren't cooperating today! What's up with that? LOL

I agree--great question from Anne. I actually advocated for removing a couple of the sex scenes in ELAH because upon reflection they started to feel a bit excessive to me, but I was overruled. :-)

Marie Force said...

Kara,
I loved hearing about your favorite scenes and lines. Thanks for sharing after your busy day!

Johanna,
So glad you got your book in time for book club!

Ronlyn,
Your work peeps aren't cooperating today! What's up with that? LOL

I agree--great question from Anne. I actually advocated for removing a couple of the sex scenes in ELAH because upon reflection they started to feel a bit excessive to me, but I was overruled. :-)

oklanannie said...

Thank goodness for that overruling, Marie! After 27 years of being a virgin, Olivia needed every one of those scenes and I'm sure Cole appreciated them as well. I know I did!!

For anyone who hasn't read Cole and Olivia's wonderful story, I hope you get the chance very soon. Highly recommended!

Marie Force said...

LOL Anne, I so hate when you hold out that way! HAHA! You are right, Olivia waited a long time for that action and Cole made it well worth her wait.

Crystal said...

I didn't get here yesterday, but thought I would stop in real quick. I haven't yet read ELAH, but I have heard such great things about it. It is on my TBR list!

Gabriela Batlle said...

What I love about this book is that it is a relationship book, yes there was a misunderstanding at the end (and I’m a sucker for those “crazy ex tries to break them up” kind of plot), but it didn't drag for 500 pages of drama and angst. I loved that the book was all about their relationship and character grow, it was a happy book and I was hooked from the beginning, loved Cole, and loved Olivia, she was sweet and a little bit wounded but strong and a fighter. Keep them coming Marie!

winnie said...

I'm so late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I also loved ELaH! I so totally agree with Gabriela that one of the aspects that really hooked me was the fact that this book was mainly focused on Cole and Olivia's relationship. I loved how there were so many sweet and romantic moments between the two and loved watching their relationship grow. Even after reading, the book is still kept within reach from my bed because I want to keep flipping back to those tender scenes!

Marie Force said...

Winners of the giveaway copies of Everyone Loves a Hero:

RONLYN

and

TARA

Contact me at marie@marieforce.com to claim your prize!

Marie Force said...

Gabriela,
I love your assessment of ELaH. I am really big on making sure I keep my characters TOGETHER in the story as much as I can. I hate to read romance books when the heroine spends more time with her girlfriends than with her guy. :-)

Winnie,
I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!!

Thank you both for stopping by book club! I hope you'll come back again!

oklanannie said...

Congrats to the winners!!! ELaH is a great romance story!!