Thursday, February 25, 2010

Home Stretch and Other Musings

I'm closing in on the finish of my latest work in progress, Fool for Love, which is the sequel to Maid for Love, now on submission. Some question the wisdom of writing book 2 before book 1 has sold. Well, for me, it's a matter of maintaining my already fragile sanity. With a full-time job, two busy kids and a writing career to tend to every day, I'd rather write a book that might not sell that have to write one with a gun to my head. So far I've dodged the nightmare known as writing to deadline, and I'm okay with that. I'm sure my day is coming, but for now, I'm living off my reserves.

I mentioned on Facebook that I've just been through a brutal judging cycle, during which I rated 8 Rita books (RWA's best published contest) and 8 Golden Heart entries (RWA's unpublished contest) as well as the Between the Sheets contest (love scenes) and two critiques for my local chapter. While I love to judge and critique, this was WAY more than I can handle. It kept me from any meaningful output on my work in progress for a couple of weeks. I've discovered that I can't fight the "not-in-the-mood-to-write" moods that strike every now and then. I used to freak out because I worried that my muse had left me, but now I know she takes a vacation every now and then, but she always comes back. Today, for the first time in a while, I feel charged to write. So back I go to Fool for Love and the sprint to the finish.

Who is watching American Idol? The judges go through an awful lot to get to the final 24 but I think they're a pretty mundane lot this year. No real standouts like there were last year. I like Crystal, the girl with the dreads, and the guy Kara is lusting after. Otherwise, not all that interested.

Speaking of not interested, who cares about the Bachelor finale? Not me. I grow to dislike him more with every passing week. Don't really care for either of the remaining girls, but I howled when one of the other girls said Tenley probably dreams in Disney moves and shits rainbows. That was SO funny (and so TRUE!) Vienna just comes across as an opportunist and kinda skanky. If he picks her, he deserves her. Reality Steve gave away the ending weeks ago, and so far he's been spot on. I guess we'll find out Monday. Yawn. I am looking forward to Jason and Molly's wedding. I've always liked her and he's grown on me over time, even after his disastrous handling of his finale.

Looking forward to the figure skating finale tonight! How can we not all root for the Canadian skater who lost her mother? What a trooper! What's been your favorite part of the Olympics? For me, it's sitting on the sofa watching skiers fly through the air while telling my family, "What's the big deal? I could do that!" :-)