Tuesday, March 3, 2009

02871

Since I finished my first book almost five years ago, I've had an ongoing and ever-changing relationship with my local post office. At first, I'd make regular trips to mail query letters, partials and full manuscripts. I was lucky to receive numerous requests for full MSs before I sold Line of Scrimmage in 2007. Back when I was first querying, most agents still wanted full manuscripts printed out and mailed. I spent a small fortune in postage during those years, and I got so I hated trudging over there to mail off another envelope full of dreams.

Since I signed with my first and then my second agent and sold Line of Scrimmage, I haven't had as much cause to stand in line at the post office. However, I did send copies of Line of Scrimmage to a couple "Best of 2008" contests. As I was waiting in line earlier today, thinking about all the many trips I'd made to that place, I had to smile as I realized another milestone in my journey as an author. I've gone from mailing manuscripts held together by rubber bands and binder clips to mailing off MY BOOK. That is very cool, and it's another thing to celebrate along the way, even if LOS doesn't make a ripple in any of the contests. Today I also mailed a copy of my most recently finished MS to my friend Mary in Florida, who told me she can't possibly wait until she gets home in April to read it. She was one of my first and most rabid fans, and I'm delighted that she hasn't lost her enthusiasm for getting "hot-off-the-presses" books.

March came in like a lion here yesterday, dumping 8" of snow in our neck of the woods. My kids were out of school AGAIN, meaning they are now in school until June 25! That's the latest I can ever recall them being in school. While I don't enjoy being outside in it, I really do love the way the snow has the power to bring life to a halt the way almost nothing else can in this go-go-go world. Everything is cancelled when it snows, especially when it's part of what we like to call a Nor'easter in these parts.

Finally, I'm pleased to report that I have finished the galley proofs of Love at First Flight! And yes, I did find a mistake late in the book on the second read through—just like I did with Line of Scrimmage. So while it was EXTREMELY painful to read the same book twice in a week, especially when you know exactly what's going to happen, it was time very well spent. Now I'm working on the revisions to another book, have two contests waiting to be judged, and two critiques I promised a couple of my new writer friends. I'm also starting to get my ducks in a row for the publicity blitz that will surround Love at First Flight's launch in July. At least this time, I have an idea of what to expect, which is why I'm thinking about it now! What's keeping you busy these days?

12 comments:

Judy F said...

I can't wait to get my hands on your next book.

my life has eased up a bit since the bookstore I worked at part time closed. I really miss it but with a full time job and my dad in a nursing home I needed the free time more.

Sorry you got more snow.

Marie Force said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the excitement about L@FF. My dad read it this week and loved it. YAY! Of course I was a little squeamish about him sitting three feet from me reading a book full of juicy bits that I wrote! LOL

Enjoy that extra free time. Sounds like your plate is pretty full!

flchen1 said...

Oh wow, four more months?! *sigh*

Sorry, anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the painful, last minute fix/reread, but I'm happy you caught it before you had finished copies in hand ;) And it sounds like life's been crazy busy!

I've been running around doing stuff at the kids' school, with my youngest in tow (poor guy!) It's been pouring rain on and off for the last couple weeks, but we desperately need it, so I don't mind it nearly so much ;) I haven't been able to spend as much time on the computer OR reading--hopefully soon!

Cheryl Brooks said...

Um, have to say DITTO on that question. That and losing what's left of my mind...

Marie Force said...

Hey Fedora,
Sounds like you've been busy, too! And yes, I know, four months seems like a long way off, but it'll be here before we know it! Hope you can get some more reading time soon. I get a little nuttier when I have no time to read.

Cheryl,
They say the mind is the first thing to go! We are both on our way to the loony bin! :-)

Cheryl Brooks said...

I'll save you a cot when I get there...

Jessica said...

Hey Marie,

Thank you for coming over to comment at the Moody Muses. I appreciate it! I can't wait for L@FF. The anticipation builds as I read every blog post of yours.

I loved how you traced your own writer's journey as reflected in your relationship with your post office. That's classic!

Marie Force said...

Thanks for coming by, Jessica! I'm glad you liked my post office metaphor. Me and my post office--we go way back! :-)

debbie haupt said...

I keep busy by working a full time job, being married to an absolutely helpless man (whom I have loved for over 30 years), I have a grown daughter who is very involved in her career (opera) so I on occasion see her perform, I am an addict when it comes to reading (4-6 books/week), belong to several on-line book clubs as well as an in-person club, review for a few publishers,and I am on the Board of Directors of my library district and I was also asked to judge a contest where I was introduced to you as a writer and can't say enough about how your writing inspired me as a reader. So I am so looking forward to Love at First Flight and Kudos for Line of Scrimmage

Marie Force said...

Wow, Debbie, thank you so much. What an amazing compliment! And LOL on your helpless man. That's pretty funny!

If you want to email me offline at mforce@cox.net, I'd be happy to add you to my mailing list for news about LaFF and hopefully future books!

debbie haupt said...

thanks Marie, but I already am on your mailing list from when Valerie Harris connected us. Just found your blog and wanted to say hi!
Debbie

Marie Force said...

That's right, Debbie. My brain is scrambled today! Revision mania!