Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Club: Sweet Justice by Christy Reece


By Crystal Scott

Honor Stone is a young, idealistic FBI agent when her path collides with Seth Cavanaugh. For a girl who has never walked on the wild side, the dark and dangerous Seth is a temptation she can’t refuse. But then Seth walks out the door and out of her life. Five years later, Honor is an operative with the elite Last Chance Rescue organization and Seth is a desperate ex-cop searching for his missing niece—one of many young women who have mysteriously vanished from college campuses. Going undercover, Honor will attract the maniacal cult leader behind the kidnappings and find a way to work with Seth—while steering clear of the passion and need that’s just one touch away from explosion. Seth knows he had all the right reasons for the wrong he did five years ago. And from the moment he sees her—and takes her in his arms again—this former undercover man will risk everything for one more chance with Honor.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of Christy Reece and her LAST CHANCE RESCUE series. It is Romantic Suspense at it's best. Her characters come so alive, the readers feel as if they know them... unfortunately (in a good way) the villains are the same. She can create some of the vilest creeps imaginable they are all too real. In her latest book SWEET JUSTICE the villian Alden Pike was beyond creepy and he had a God complex which made him worse. I will admit that he made it hard to fall asleep at nights. Then along comes Seth and Honor and they tear his world down. The book is a page turner from the first sentence..
     
"Seth Cavanaugh, your under arrest for the murder of Montgomery Jenkins. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney..."
       
From that moment until you close the book it is addictive.  I stayed up all night reading it because I couldn't bear to put it down without knowing how it ended. 

There are so many things that I loved about this book. The chemistry between Seth and Honor was felt right away. The whole time your reading you just want to shout "Come on you two love each other! Get on with it already before the pages begin to smoke."  We met Honor before but Seth was an unknown in the LCR series, but have no fear he fits right in with the LCR men...arrogant, sexy, dangerous, and of course hero material. Here are a few of my favorite lines in the book. 

The first one is Honor's thought as she watched Seth walking across her apartment. She knew she was supposed to be mad at him but she couldn't seem to get this thought out of her mind..... 

Seth was already beyond sexy. Add dangerous to the mix and he was a walking sexual fantasy.

The next line is from when Seth first caught sight of Honor. They both happen to be at the same party. He was captivated at first sight...

He had been standing, talking to some of Clemmons's business associates, when she'd walked into the room. Seth had quite literally lost his breath. Job forgotten, his reason for being there no longer important. Mesmerized, he'd walked away in the middle of the conversation, without explanation.

 Then of course Honor's reaction to the strange man that stood speechless in front of her.

 She'd held out her hand and given him a small, simple smile. That's all it had taken for him to fall in love with her.

Fast forward 5 years.... The last they saw of each other hearts were broken and both lives forever changed. Their chemistry was always off the charts. Seth had just heard that Honor was recently almost killed. So he demands to see the scar. As Honor pulls the material away, she titled her head back. Callused fingertips gently caressed the scar.....

Honor shivered as every erogenous zone in her body stood to attention, ready to shout hallelujah. 

 Seth got Honor all hot and bothered one night and he left her hanging. There were some hostile words exchanged and a long restless night for both of them. The next morning Seth knew without a doubt he was on thin ice.. This line says it all...

"Honor"
She turned around. With that blank, polite mask firmly in place, her brow slightly arched,  she silently waited.
"I'm a prick."

This next line had me laughing out loud. At 2:00 am I was laughing so hard I was shaking the bed. My husband rolled over asked what in the world was wrong. Noticed I was reading and grumbled something under his breath and rolled back over and went back to sleep. By this point in the book the sexual frustration could be felt bouncing off the page...

Seth grabbed his key card and growled a thank-you to the sweet-looking lady behind the counter. She looked a bit startled that he'd gone from pleasant to caveman in a matter of seconds.

Poor Seth is in misery, but finally Honor is giving somewhat of a green light and Seth is beyond excited.....

"Holy hell, Honor. Don't touch me if you don't want this. I'm about to go off like a rocket."

(These next two are my favorite)

One of Seth's biggest issues was always trying to protect Honor. He knew she was tough, but he could never get past the fact that if something happened to her he would be devastated. This line was oh so sigh worthy!

To the rest of the world, Honor might be a tough, hard-nosed, no-nonsense woman with a gun. To Seth, she was simply his heart.

This last line, Honor made the mistake of trying to put some "space" between her and Seth. She decided to put him on a separate team. He wasn't much for the idea..... Another laugh out loud moment.

You've got two choices, babe. Make the reassignment or I'm going to do something that these LCR operatives will be talking about for years to come."

Her temper making her eyes gleam like green diamonds, she snapped, "You wouldn't dare."

"Try me."

These are just a few, but I couldn't quote the whole book which is what it would look like if I posted all my favorite lines. I can't say enough about Sweet Justice. If you haven't read it yet push it to the top of your TBR pile. Although it is a part of a series and I HIGHLY recommend reading them all in order, this book could be read as a standalone. I don't believe anyone would feel lost.

Christy is going to be joining us and giving away some books so make sure to join us and ask your questions!

I am feeling a little pressure with the recipes since Seth is this amazing cook... So I am going to go with the KISS method. (keep it simple stupid lol)

For a simple dinner one of my family's favorites is:

CHEESEBURGER PIE:
Ingredients:
2-3 lbs hamburger
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans of crescent rolls

I make two different pans one for me one for my husband. He only likes the top ingredients. Sometimes I crumble cooked bacon to add to his also. Now if you like mushrooms (which I don't) you can add them.

I add to mine:
1 can of diced tomatoes
chopped onion

Fry hamburger until it is done (I like mine very crumbly not big chunks) drain the grease off of it. Mix your mushrooms, bacon, onions and tomatoes in with the hamburger. In a 13X9 cake pan cover the bottom with crescent rolls. I think approximately half of one can. Pour the hamburger mixture in the pan. Cover the top with your shredded cheese. I like to put velveeta cheese on top of mine to make it creamier. You can use more or less however much cheese your family likes, mine unfortunately loves cheese. After all the ingredients are in the pan cover the top with crescent rolls. Bake according to the direction on the crescent roll can. 

I usually fry some potatoes (or have mashed potatoes) with a side of corn and a salad to complete the meal.  

Now for the best part... desert.
I'm not sure exactly what the name of this cake is, but I've heard it called Better than Sex cake.. sounds good to me. :)


Bake a German Chocolate cake according to the directions on the box. Once cake is baked take a straw (the ones from sonic are great because they are bigger) poke holes all over the top. Take one can of sweetened condensed milk and pour over the whole cake, then take one jar of caramel (the kind you buy for ice cream toppings) pour the whole jar over the cake. Place the cake in the refrigerator until cold. Once the cake is cold cover the top with whipped cream.  It is amazing!

64 comments:

Crystal said...

Hey everyone!! I want to welcome Christy today and just say again how much I am enjoy all of Christy's books. I hope everyone has had a chance to read Sweet Justice and loved it as much as I did.

Marie Force said...

Great write-up Crystal! Welcome to Christie! This book is awesome! I'm really enjoying it!!!

Mary G said...

Crystal - those were the same lines that got to me too. Christy's villains are sooo creepy. She can really get into their heads unfortunately. I'm reading SR now & she keeps the quality & freshness going. Really amazing.

ShellyE said...

Great write up Crystal and the receipes sounds wonderful. I agree with you that all the LCR books are wonderful. Each and every one of the hero/heroine combos have been great. There isn't an "eh" book in the bunch. Add to that, Christy is a super nice lady to be online friends with! I have met so many great people since I started following Christy & Marie on FB. I am looking forward to Christy's future books as well.

Ronlyn said...

morning all. *yawn*
Good Job Crystal! I'm trying to think of some more questions to pester Christy with when she arrives.

Crystal said...

Hey Marie! :)Thank you for always having great authors on here!!

Crystal said...

Mary G Sweet Revenge **sigh** is freaking amazing! Is it me or does Christy's writing get better and better? I always think I would like to take a peek into Christy's head, but then when I read a villain like Alden I'm a little scared to want to do that. lol

Crystal said...

ShellyE I have met more friends that I keep in touch with on a daily basis through Christy, Marie, and Pamela than friends that I have known for years that I rarely talk to. I'm very thankful to all three ladies!

Crystal said...

Good Morning Ronlyn!! Enjoy your coffee and I know Thursday is going to rock for you! I can feel it already. (crossing my fingers anyway)
Looking forward to your pestering questions. lol

ShellyE said...

Same here Crystal!! I love my book club buddies!!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Marie, Crystal and everyone! Sorry I'm late checking in. I think I've been having such SWEET dreams, I haven't wanted to get out of bed this week. (:

Thanks so much, Marie, for featuring SWEET JUSTICE on Romance and Oreos. I'm honored to be here. So glad you're enjoying the book!

Crystal, thank you for the wonderful write up of SWEET JUSTICE and the SWEET things you said. And wow, that recipe is one I'm definitely going to try. It has all the ingredients we love and I do believe this might become one of Mr. Reece's favorites. (:

Hey Mary! LOL My villains are quite creepy but it makes their end so much SWEETer, don't you think? (: And so glad you're enjoying SWEET REVENGE!

Hey Shelly! Thanks so much for the kind words on my books. And thank you for saying such nice things. However, it's so easy to be nice to nice people and I sincerely believe that my readers are some of the nicest in the world! (:

Hey Ronlyn! LOL You could never pester me so ask away!

Christy Reece said...

Thank you, Crystal for those incredibly kind words! LOL I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read the part about looking in my head. You are too funny!

Crystal said...

Hey Christy I'd say with the last few months of non stop writing you deserve a few nights of SWEET dreams! I hope you guys enjoy the recipe! The cake is one that I make very often!!

ShellyE said...

Christy, how do you come up with your creepy villians? Do you model them after real life villians in the news?

Alison said...

Hi Everyone! Hi Christy!

Great write up Crystal! That cake sounds AMAZING!

I LOVE Christy's books! Her villians are super creepy and somehow she almost always makes me cry with her heroes and heroines.

I'm re-reading Sweet Justice...and re-loving it! Alden is way creepy...I'm trying to decide if I should consider Tabitha a villian too. I want to cut her some slack since she would probably be normal if Alden wasn't her dad, but she's creepin' me out.

Christy Reece said...

Crystal, I can't believe I missed the cake recipe! I stopped at the cheeseburger pie and started thinking about it! But wow oh wow, I'm definitely going to try that dessert, too. Sounds absolutely marvelous!

Shelly, regarding my villains: Many times my first glimpse of the villain is when he commits his first horrible act that's going to involve the hero or heroine. From that one event, I start asking questions, such as, Why he did what he did, what was his purpose? How did he become what he is? What are his goals? And what are his weaknesses?

Also, I do like to pair my hero and heroine up with a villain who's worthy of them. Seth and Honor were so experienced, I knew Alden Pike would need to be devious and creepy to be a challenge to them. But beyond that, I will say that every villain I've created surprised me. And Pike gave me nightmares and chills. As did Tabitha.

Hey Alison! Thanks so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed SWEET JUSTICE.

Tabitha was difficult for me. When I first met her, before I knew what she was capable of, I wondered if perhaps I could have her rescued too. She was so obviously a victim of her father and had most likely been abused from birth. But then, after I realized what she willingly did, I knew she couldn't really be saved. If she'd had a normal life--gotten away from her father, she probably would have been fine. But Pike turned her into a feminine version of himself. LOL Now I'm feeling sorry for her again. (:

Hope said...

Great write up Crystal. And I can't wait to try that hamburger pie, just up my alley.

I loved Seth and Honor's book. My favorite line is when Seth says.."I'm a prick." and Honor replies "Well they say the first step is admitting the problem." I agree about the pages smoking, and I too couldn't put the book down. This is one of those that got me in trouble with the hubby. He rolled over about 2am and I was still reading and he says..."seriously", and all I could say is shhhh, its a good part, lol.

Christy, I know that this series is ending in December, but I was curious if you might have a LCR Christmas book or some baby shower book down the road where they all come together again and maybe Angela is the star????

Crystal said...

LOL Christy the cheeseburger pie is Dusty's absolute favorite! He isn't a fan of the cake because the strange man doesn't like sweets. That is a foreign concept to me I just don't get that... but anyway both are super easy to make!

Crystal said...

Hope I love that idea!! I am having a hard time letting go and Angela and Aiden not getting some sort of HEA is heartbreaking!

krisgils33 said...

Awesome write-up Crystal!! I, too, love all of Christy's books, but I really think this one is my favorite. Seth and Honor are such an amazing couple and Seth himself is so swoon worthy. One of the best heroes ever!!! I think I'd be very afraid to meet up with any of Christy's villians after dark!!

Ronlyn said...

Okay Christy, here goes:
-If you could go back and tell yourself one thing when you were starting your writing, what would it be?
-How deep of a sense of your H/H do you have before you sit down to write their story?
-Has there been one character that has been the most challenging to write? Why?
:-) now...off to work....

Gail said...

I am new to Ms.Reece's books. Iam glad I started with this one.Her heroes are true "Alpha Males" tough on the outside and loving & tender on the inside. Her heroines are smart,strong and passionate.I would recommend her books to anyone:)

ShellyE said...

I love those ideas Hope!! Maybe Christy could self-publish those!!

Crystal said...

Thanks Kris! I'm glad you made it home okay!!

Ronlyn you always ask the best questions. :)

Welcome to the fan club Gail!!

Kara C said...

FINALLY able to post! Pesky work internet.
Poor, poor Honor. A knife to her throat, a partner cracking jokes, and all she can think is, "I haven't had sex in over four years." LOL!
SJ is definitely another great addition to the LCR collection.

Mary G said...

We started as book club buddies but we talk about everything so thanks to Marie & Christy for getting us together.

Mary G said...

Christy
I don't think I want to get in your head when it comes to your villains. It already freaks me out to think a sweet Southern lady can think up creeps like that. Now your heroes on the other hand... Lol

Naughty D' said...

Great post Crystal!! I'm a huge LCR fan too!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Best Wishes Christy on release week =)

Crystal said...

LOL Kara that might be my thought too if I was in her situation. :)

Anonymous said...

"Sweet Justice" turned out to be everything I wanted it to be in a great book. Seth and Honor turned out to be lots of fun and the story was great. I can say that Christy had a few of us interacting with her characters, especially with the character Ann.

Christy, while you are writing do you ever catch yourself wanting to jump into a book and do something?

Jackie P

oklanannie said...

Hi Christy - so glad you're here today talking about SWEET JUSTICE! Crystal, you did a fantastic job on the review! Yummy new recipes to try as well.

You hit all my favorite lines as well. Another of my very favorite scenes is when Seth and Honor danced nude to "Unforgettable." And the part after Tabitha shot Seth and he lay dying nearly tore my heart out. As Honor talked to him and begged him not to leave her again, tears were streaming down my face. And then they called in the priest for final rites. Whew! Christy writes so realistically that it's as if I was sitting in that hospital room watching Seth slip away.

And Alden Pike's villain characterizations were mighty powerful. You know in your mind that there are really those vile people walking the earth but still, it's unfathomable. Christy nails the criminal mind and elements of the crimes everytime.

SWEET JUSTICE started the SWEETs off with perfection. But SWEET REVENGE didn't fail in meeting the challenge. Another absolutely incredible addition to the LCR series. Next up, SWEET REWARD and I have a feeling that Jared and Mia, along with Christy's expertise will keep the winning streak going.

I can hardly stand the thought of no more LCR books. I wanted my boy, Raphael to get his well-earned HEA. Aiden and Angela need their time in the limelight as well. I'm not saying good-bye -- just see ya later to an amazing cast of characters.

Still waiting for Christy to spill the beans on what's going on in her writing cave these days!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Haven't read it yet, but now even more eager after reading your blog! Thanks. Just love her books, so know this series will be great too.

pennsdog@yahoo.com

Crystal said...

Oklanannie I agree I would love to know what is going on in her writing cave!!!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Hope! LOL I can just imagine the looks your hubby gave you. I've gotten many of those looks from mine when I at a good part and I don't want to stop. I love that you felt that way about SWEET JUSTICE.

Great idea about a Christmas book or even a baby shower. Hmm. If you'll remember in SWEET JUSTICE, Samara is pregnant. Can't you just see all those LCR operatives show up with all sorts of fluffy baby stuff? (:

Christy Reece said...

Crystal, it's hard for me to not just write Angela and Aiden's books just to be able to say (at least in my head) that they got their HEA. I might do that at some point, but right now, need to focus on another idea. (:

Christy Reece said...

Hey Kris! I love that you loved SWEET JUSTICE so much. I thought Seth and Honor were a great couple too. And I adored Seth-his sacrifices, his heroism and his vulnerabilities, especially when it came to the people he loved.

LOL Can't say I'd like to meet my villains in real life either!

Crystal said...

Christy is there a type of book that you love to read but think you would have a hard time writing?

Christy Reece said...

Hey Ronlyn, those are great questions!

1) If you could go back and tell yourself one thing when you were starting your writing, what would it be?

Stay away from all the negative aspects in this business: that includes negative people, bad reviews and anyone who wants to destroy my dreams.

2) How deep of a sense of your H/H do you have before you sit down to write their story?

My characters rarely come to me fully fleshed out. I usually have a small sense of what kind of person they are, but it's not until I'm writing the book that I come to know the characters. Oftentimes. it's not until they react to an event that I realize who and what they are. That's when I start asking them questions.


3) Has there been one character that has been the most challenging to write?

In their own way, they've all been a challenge for one reason or the other. However, if I had to pick the most difficult, it would have to be Dylan Savage.

Why? I don't think Dylan realized how strong and resilient Jamie was, so whenever I'd present an obstacle to her, he'd fight me on it and then Jamie would end up rising to the challenge. He underestimated her and so did I.

Also, Dylan didn't tell me until late in the book what happened in his childhood. My heart broke for him because I'd been so tough on him. After he told me, we came to a better understanding but he still liked to surprise me. There's a scene near the end that I had no idea was coming. I absolutely loved it but I sure wished he'd told me what he was going to do before he did it! (:

Hope you had a good day at work!

Christy Reece said...

Hi Gail! Thanks so much! I'm so glad you discovered my books and incredibly happy that you enjoyed SWEET JUSTICE!

Christy Reece said...

LOL Kara, that line was the only one I knew would be in the book when I started writing SWEET JUSTICE.

Christy Reece said...

Mary G, you know I think it was you guys that brought Marie's books to my attention. I met her online and then in person and am so glad I did.

So thanks to you all for bringing Marie and me together. (:

Christy Reece said...

Hey (Dawn) Naughty D! Thank you!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Jackie! I'm so glad you loved Seth and Honor and SWEET JUSTICE. I know several of you wanted to jump in and help Anna out. When she gets her surprise in the middle of the book, I had no idea that would happen.

I can think of a few times when I wanted to jump in and help my characters. When Samara is attacked; when Cole is being beaten and when Jamie is being held by Damon Hughes. Also, I remember wanting to stop in the middle of writing LAST CHANCE to hug McKenna because, well...she just needed someone to hug her. (:

Christy Reece said...

Hey Anne! Thank you! You mentioned some of my very favorite scenes.

I hope some day to be able to give Raphael, Aidan and Angela a story. You never know what might happen. Certainly not closing the door completely on those characters. I love them too much!

LOL I hope to be able to share something soon. Not yet though, but please keep good thoughts for me. Okay? (:

Christy Reece said...

Hi Anonymous! (Pennsdog). Thank you. So glad you enjoy my books. Hope you love the SWEET trilogy, too!

Christy Reece said...

Hi Crystal! I love a wonderfully lush historicals by wonderful authors like Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Lisa Kleypas--and many many more. However, as much as I love them, I don't think I could ever do one justice. So I'll just continue to devour these delicious romances and admire and adore the authors who create them.

Na said...

A German chocolate cakes sounds like a sweet treat! Perfect for celebrating your book's release Christy :)

emmad said...

I'll have to go look up Christy's books.

Important question though what are cresent rolls? The receipe sounds good just never heard of crescent rolls so doubt we have them here.

Crystal said...

Emmad where are you from? The crescent rolls I am talking about are made by pillsbury. I'm trying to think of something that would work in it's place... I'll get back to you.

Marie Force said...

Yes, thank you book clubbers for "fixing me up with" Christy, who has become such a lovely friend. And now I am going to "out" my lovely friend who showed some of her writerly crazy in this comment that made me snort with laughter (because I really GET IT and the same thing happens to me):

Also, Dylan didn't tell me until late in the book what happened in his childhood. . . I absolutely loved it but I sure wished he'd told me what he was going to do before he did it! (:

Yeah, they talk to us. We hear voices. And there is NOTHING wrong with us. Nothing at all. Damn it. LOL!

Thanks again for being here today, Christy! So glad you guys had such fun while I was at work! :-)

Ronlyn said...

Work was crazy (quite literally) today, so I didn't get to come play as much as I'd have liked.
Thanks for answering the questions Christy!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Na! You're so right. That cake does sound like a yummy way to celebrate a book release. Might just have to try that this weekend.

Christy Reece said...

Hi Emmad! Thanks for your interest in my books! Hope you enjoy!

Christy Reece said...

LOL Marie, yes, you outed me! Writers do hear voices and we have conversations going on in our head day and night. You're right--there's nothing wrong with it. Though my characters can be awfully frustrating when they yell at each other and won't listen to reason.

Thank you again for featuring SWEET JUSTICE on your Romance and Oreo book club. I'm so glad our readers brought us together. (:

Christy Reece said...

Crystal, thank you again for the fabulous write up of SWEET JUSTICE and for sharing your delicious looking recipes. Can't wait to try them!

Crystal said...

Christy thank you so much for coming by and hanging out with us and answering all our questions. Everyone remember to run out and grab Sweet Revenge!!! I enjoyed it every bit as much (maybe even just a tad bit more) than Sweet Justice. Dylan and Jamie work hard for the HEA! Great job Christy!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all the books and great reviews hot covers whooo

Kh

Christy Reece said...

Thank you, Crystal. And I'm so glad you loved SWEET REVENGE, too. I adore all my heroes and heroines, but I will admit an extra soft spot in my heart for Dylan and Jamie. You're right, Crystal. They did have to work awfully hard for their HEA. LOL And so did I! (:

Christy Reece said...

Hi Kh! Thanks so much for stopping and the good wishes. And I do so love my covers. These guys make me smile every time I look at them. (:

Crystal said...

AND THE WINNERS ARE:

Gail and Pennsdog!!! Congratulations ladies! Email your address to christy@christyreece.com and you get your pick of either SWEET JUSTICE or SWEET REVENGE.

Thanks everyone for stopping by yesterday!! Have a great weekend everyone!!

ShellyE said...

Congrats Gail & Pennsdog!! You will LOVE these books!!

emmad said...

I'm from New Zealand :) Will google them

Crystal said...

Emmad I have a fabulous idea!! lol I will bring crescent rolls and make you dinner! :) Would love to visit New Zealand!! Hope you can find something similar that you could use.

emmad said...

lol I think that's a great idea :) Looks like it's really just a form of pastry