Monday, May 2, 2011

An Interview with My Friend Pamela Clare

It's launch day for Pamela Clare's new I-Team book, BREAKING POINT! First, a little about the book:

Denver journalist Natalie Benoit and Deputy U.S. Marshal Zach McBride find themselves captives of a bloodthirsty Mexican drug cartel. Working together, they escape through the desert toward the border, the attraction between them flaring hotter than the Sonoran sun. They fight to stay ahead of the danger that hunts them as forces more powerful than they can imagine conspire to destroy them both...

And now...on to the interview!

I've been waiting patiently (okay not so patiently) for the new I-Team book, Breaking Point. I read Extreme Exposure last November (my first book using the Kindle app on my I-Touch) and then I devoured the rest of the series. I am so excited for this new installment. Tell us what to expect in Breaking Point!

Breaking Point has everything the other I-Team books have had — only more of it. I’ve ratcheted up the suspense and danger by sending Natalie, the heroine, to Juárez, Mexico, which is currently the most dangerous place on earth outside a war zone to be a journalist. The stakes are higher in this story than in any of the others. It’s life or death from Chapter 1 through to the climax of the story. Julian, Marc and Gabe each play big roles in the story, as does Joaquin, whom we come to know a bit better. I always wanted to write a book where the situation was so dire that all of the I-Team men had to fight side by side to protect the heroine.

With all the adrenaline and heart-pounding action comes a lot of sensuality between Natalie and the hero, Zach. I’m not sure who your fave I-Team hero is, Marie, but I think Zach will be giving him a run for his money. Zach is probably my most heroic hero, and I can’t wait to share him with you in all his former Navy SEAL, chief deputy U.S. Marshal glory. Jed Hill, that abdominally gifted man on the cover of the book, was my mental model for Zach (which is how he ended up on the cover). So you can imagine how much I enjoyed writing Zach’s scenes. Jed in the head. Yum.

In between it all, there’s a serious storyline about Zach and Natalie and how they fall in love. Both of them have faced their share of grief. They find in each other the one person who truly understands, and their love not only saves their lives it also sets them free to live again.

That’s 400 pages in a nutshell. Kind of a big nutshell.

I love that "Jed in the head." That's a good image to have in the head when writing. What was it about him that appealed to you and made him Zach?

Will it make me seem shallow if I say it was his a-ma-zing body? That’s what it was. I saw a photo of him, bare-torsoed, with just boxing gloves over his shoulder, and I think my heart cracked a few ribs. Thunk! His face is beautiful, too. Put the two together, as Nature has so kindly done in his case, and he was perfect for a former Navy SEAL now “working the line” as a chief deputy U.S. marshal. Why? Well, because. I have it on expert authority (a former U.S. Marshal) that most DUSMs are not hot like Jed. In fact, the cover of my book make this particular former U.S. Marshal, a source for the book, want to return to the job. If that’s what they look like these days, she said in an email, I’m coming out of retirement.

LOL--that's great! You're driving her right out of retirement to go looking for Jed! As a reporter, you must have a stable of experts to call on when researching your books. Can you tell us a little about your research process, and how much of BREAKING POINT is drawn from something you've experienced in your job?

Being a reporter certainly makes it easier to find sources if for no other reason than it’s something I’m used to doing every day. But, yes, I have a lot of established contacts as well. The seed for this story was planted almost 10 years ago when I did an opinion piece on Las Muertas de Juárez—the murdered women of Juárez, Mexico. I was enraged to think that more than 400 women and teenage girls had been the victims of brutal sexual homicides, their bodies dumped in the desert. There are still about 1,000 missing women and girls, most of them trafficked or killed. It’s appalling. Since then, of course, the situation in poor Juárez has gotten much worse. It is now the most dangerous place outside of a war zone to be a journalist. For that reason alone, I knew I had to send a fictional journalist there.

I had a lot of fun researching how people cross the border in secret. I did some research into the culture of narcotraficantes. I researched the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sonoran Desert. Then I picked a route for Zach and Natalie to take which meshed perfectly with other already established characters in the series. I had so much fun with that. It was like playing Oregon Trail or something, except it was Sonoran Manhunt.

What was so strange about writing this book was that terrible things were happening that were eerily echoed or foreshadowed in the story. I would write about someone being killed in a particularly grisly way — and then something very much like that would happen. I shared newslinks with my friend who were reading the story as I wrote it, and it gave us the eeriest feelings sometimes. I don’t think I’ve ever written a book that so closely shadowed what’s happening exactly at this moment.

Whoa, that's amazing. You must've been creeped out by all the coincidence! I love how you bring your work into your books. I know you've been in some scary situations as a reporter. Tell us about the tightest spot you've ever been in and how you brought that anxiety to your books.

Wow. Believe it or not, this is a tough question... Hmm. I’ve had a gun held on me twice. I fell of a mountain and had to self-rescue for a while before the chopper could reach me. That was serious and very painful. There was the time I drove into a coal mine while the drag line was running and tried to take photos before the armed security guards to get me. (I got away with it. Bwahaha!) But the tightest spot...

The tightest spot I’ve ever been in was probably when two men with switchblades broke into my house just after midnight one night. I was home alone with my then-9-month-old firstborn. I heard something outside our apartment—hushed voices. Then someone rattled the doorknob to the back door. I went to look and see if someone was there, but there wasn’t. I turned and thought I saw two heads pass my kitchen window. I walked over there and they were gone. Then I called my ex to see if he had tried to come over and had perhaps forgotten his key. I woke him up; he’d been sound asleep in bed.

At that point, someone started beating on the front door and saying, “Open up! Open up!”

I still didn’t get it that these guys were trying to attack me. I remember thinking that they must be a couple of kids playing a prank. But I decided to call 911 anyway, and that decision saved me from being gang-raped at knife point.

During the two minutes I was on the phone with 911 dispatch, the two men circled back around to the kitchen window and beat it in with the handles of their switchblades. I will never forget seeing their faces and seeing that they were HAPPY and turned on that I was afraid. I saw right their in their eyes exactly what they planned to do once they got ahold of me. They were really sure they had me cornered — and they did. They started in through the window, and I felt an urge to run, but my baby was asleep in the back. So I just clenched my fists and forced myself to stand there and NOT run. I didn’t want them to know he was there.

They were all of about eight feet away from me by the time the police arrived. I saw two officers running full tilt toward my apartment. One of them shouted, “Knock it the fuck off, or we’ll blow you away!” And then it was just chaos. By that point I was screaming like a total TSTL non-heroine. The attackers ran. One was caught not far from my apartment and taken into custody that night; the other stole a car and was arrested a week later in Wyoming. I lived in terror that entire week, afraid he’d come back for me.

The two men had raped another woman nine months earlier. Their perverted modus operandi was to try to make the woman afraid before they broke in—terrorize her and then break in and rape her. They managed to terrorize me, but they never touched me.

I had nightmares for years. I would find myself half-asleep reliving the break-in in the middle of the night. I jumped at every sound. When we ordered pizza and the delivery guy knocked on that same front door, I would come out of my skin. Loud noises, stress of any kind, anything startling—it would make me fall apart. I was eventually diagnosed with full-blown PTSD. This was a defining event in my life because I’ve had to fight like hell to come back from it.

A lot of my novels have characters who suffer from PTSD, and there’s a reason for that. I know what it’s like to feel like you simply can’t get over something. And I absolutely know what terror is.

I hope some of that comes through in the books.

Incidentally, the attack scene in EXTREME EXPOSURE draws directly from this experience, though for Kara it was one guy with a gun and for me it was two guys with knives.

I dedicated HARD EVIDENCE to the two officers who saved me that night. We’re still in contact. For them, that night was one of the best nights of their lives because they saved THREE lives—the investigator said rape was the least of what the two had planned—my life, my 9-month-old, and my not-yet-conceived son’s life. For me, it was one of the worst nights of my life, but it could have been a helluva lot worse.

I own guns now. I sleep with a 12-gauge shot gun beside the bed, and I know how to use it.

Holy smokes! I’m glad I didn’t read that before bed last night or I never would’ve slept. What an incredible—and frightening—story! I knew parts of EXTREME EXPOSURE were true life for you, but I had no idea just how close to true that story was. (And people, if you haven’t read Extreme Exposure and the rest of the I-Team books, what are you waiting for??) Okay, taking a Xanax and getting back to our interview… You certainly know your readers are divided firmly into teams based on our favorite heroes: Reece, JULIAN, Marc, Gabe. If you could bring just one I-Team hero home for a wild night, who would you pick and why?

Is there any particular reason Julian’s name is in all caps, Marie? Inquiring journalists notice that sort of obvious thing, you know...

God, I get asked again and again to make this choice, and it’s really impossible. All of them would make fanastic lovers, so picking any one of them would guarantee a mind-blowing night of sex. They all resonate with me emotionally. They all care about the women in their lives. All of them would make me feel safe at night. (Believe it or not, I’m still a very light sleeper as a result of that break-in.) Hmmm. We’re not including Zach here?

OK, I’ll say Julian. But that’s because Zach isn’t there. And now I’m thinking I should have said Gabe. Or Marc. But for now, for just this moment, I’ll say Julian. I think he would blow my mind.

All I can say is poor Reece (and you'll be hearing from our pal Aly, I'm sure!) LOL! On that note, thank you for the wonderful interview and insight into your motivation and research. I wish you'd had a little LESS real-life research. I wish you the best of luck with BREAKING POINT! Looking forward to your visit to book club later this month!

Pamela is giving away a signed copy of BREAKING POINT to one lucky winner today! Tell us which I-Team hero you wouldn't kick out of bed and why to be entered (ooooh, I love a good pun) to win!

60 comments:

UniquelyMoi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blithely Bookish said...

Great interview, Marie and Pamela!

And to answer your question, I'd do them all...ummm... I mean... I'd... invite them all for a little bedtime snack. At the same time. Or individually. Seriously, I'm easy.

chanceofbooks said...

Loved this one. All? If I had to pick it would be Gabe. But you know if Gabe /Marc /Julian want to work out a schedule that is ok w me too.

landipan said...

Great interview girls,loved it!

Gosh,I have to pick just one or can I pick all lol? Ohh this is tough,I suppose that if I could just pick one I would have to say....Reece!

Reece was my first I-Team crush,he is so sensitive to his lady's needs(well I suppose they all are!) He's amazing with Conner (c'mon who doesin't love a man that's good with kids?) and he's just so freaking hot in a suit!

Runner up would soooo be Julian! Who doesin't love the dark and mysterious yet sensitive inside (though he'd like to hide it)hottie. Plus I got a thing for men with longish hair,doesin't always work in real life,unless he's a model,but in my minds eye it is sooo hot,meow!

Laura said...

Which would I sleep with?

Yes.

Actually I'm torn between Hunt and Gabe, but I have a hunch Zach may blow them out of the water!

Le swoon.

cgcook64 said...

I would choooooooose.....Gabe! I love Gabe,I just swoon at the very sound of his name.Just the thought of those sweat glistening muscles moving and shifting as he climbs those cliffs makes me all fluttery and induces a hot flash LOL.I'd like him to climb on me!

Great interview,I enjoyed it! Pamela,that is so scary with what you went through,I don't know what I would do in situation like that,probably turn into a deer in the headlights!

JenM said...

What a scary and amazing story Pamela has! I'm so glad she got through that.

I wish I could answer the question with a specific guy, but I can't since I haven't read any of the previous books. However, if they look all look like the guy on the cover of this book, I can guarantee you that I'm not kicking any of them out.

Jodie said...

Toughest question ever!!

They are all such great characters with a great balance of sweetess, machoness (that's not really a word is it) and god damn sexiness.

But if a gun was to my head it would probably be Marc....and Julian in a sandwich

KittyCat said...

DEFINITELY Julian,yuuumy! I can't resist a man in leather,no way no sir! I'd invite him over anytime and where!

Wonderful interview Marie and Pamela!

CMD said...

Excellent interview!

I'd pick Reece, since I'm a fervent supporter of Team Reece and the poor guy gets so little love, overshadowed by the other alphas as he his. Well, having read Breaking Point already (and going for a re-read!), I'd have to have Zach in there as well. I'm sure Reece won't mind sharing :-P

Congrats on release day! The book is excellent, and I hope everyone enjoys reading it!

Marie Force said...

Wow, you all got off to an early start! Nice to see so many new names here. Hope you'll come by on May 28 for our book club meeting on Breaking Point!

I'm on Team Julian myself. Although, I'm thinking Zach might knock Julian off the pedestal.... Looking forward to reading Breaking Point!

Ocean Deep Sea said...

If I can, I'll choose all... *greedy woman*

But, only one must remain... I choose JULIAN........

Mine said...

I will choose Julian.. *droll*

Crystal said...

Thanks for a great interview! Good questions Marie! Pamela I got chills reading your break in experience WOW!! You are a woman with multiple layers for sure. I think the reason why I feel like I am in your books while I am reading is because you write as if you are in them.
Okay since I was very fortunate to to get an early copy of Breaking Point can I say that Zach would be the one I'd get on my hands and knees and beg...um I mean the one I would let hang out in my bed....
If not and I can't choose both Julian and Marc.... I'd pick Marc. He is oh so drool worthy.....
Yes he is drool worthy...Zach is beg worthy! lol

EVERYONE Breaking Point is 10 star worthy!! You have to move it to the very top of the TBR pile!!!

Mary G said...

Wonderful interview Pamela & Marie.
Reading Bp with Jed in my head was exactly right.

Mary G said...

Oh yeah don't enter me as I already have this fab book. I used to be a Team Marc girl. Then it was Marc/Gabe. Then with rereads it became Team RJMGZZZ because I really can't choose.

Pamela Clare said...

You know, here in Colorado it's what I affectionately call “f*ck o'clock in the morning,” and already there are 15 posts on this blog.

I guess I'd better brew some coffee!!!

Thanks all of you for joining us! And many thanks to Marie for doing the interview and for hosting this party.

Marie Force said...

Happy to have you for some launch day merriment, Pamela! Go get some coffee and don't worry about us. We'll take care of ourselves while you go launch that book! Have a fun fun FUN day!

Hope said...

Happy Release Day Pamela. Great interview ladies. And, I loved Zach, he is definitely swoon worthy, and honestly, as loose as it makes me sound, I wouldn't kick any of them out of my bed....BUT, Julian is the top prize.

Ren said...

Happy release day of Breaking Point, Pamela ^_^... I enjoy the interview and thanks for sharing your experience with us :)

My answer for your question. There are 6 option, so far :
a. Reece
b. Julian
c. Marc
d. Gabe
e. Zach
f. All of the above

If I must choose one, I will choose option F *lol*..
What? Just one man? No fun *pout*
Okay, I'll choose Marc,from the beginning of Unlawful Contact, I already love him. Tortured yet loving and sweet. My kind of hero ^_^.
The second option is Reece. Another my weakness : perfect hero ;)

Jocelyn said...

It's so hard to choose!!! Can I have them all??? LOL!!!

Marie Force said...

I never knew I was in the company of such frisky women. ALL OF THEM???? LOL! I'd have to agree with that and who am I kidding? I knew you guys were super frisky! HAHA!

Mary G said...

As I said to Pamela before - not fair that Julian has the hot sexy name advantage.LOL.

Chele Blades said...

Congrats on the Release...have been waiting for Zac/Jed for it seems like forever!! great interview Marie

I started loving Reece, then fell for Julian, and of course Marc weasled his way into the mix along with Will...then there was Gabe...but I still think Zac will win out here after his heroic story!! so send any of them my way!!!i am not picky

respectfully a fan

Ronlyn said...

It's TIME!! It's TIME!!! TIME TO GO GRAB SOME ZACH!!

Tonya said...

Marc has always been the one for me but I haven't read Zach yet. I fell in love with Marc in the prologue of UC. BUT I wouldn't kick any of them out of my bed. ;-)

HAPPY RELEASE DAY, PAMELA! I think we are all happy that this day has finally arrived!

ShellyE said...

I cannot wait to read this book! I have been hearing such good things about it! I gotta vote for Gabe as the man I wouldn't kick outta bed for eating oreos...

Caty said...

Great interview Marie!
I love all the I-team guys, but my favorite hero is Gabe, I'd let him take me to the mountains anyday *sigh* Julian is a close second though. Oh and Reece too!

PS: I'm not sure how to make my E-mail show on my blogger profile, so I'll leave it here, hoping to win.
mariaca112(at)hotmail(dot)com

Alyssa S. (knewaboy) said...

Ooh... Julian can stay in my bed ANY time. He is just pure YUM-sauce! I wouldn't mind Gabe either. -swoon-

Kristin said...

Loving all the interviews!!

I definitely have room in my bed for Darcangelo, Hunt and now Zach. Yum, yum, and YUM!!!

But I'd be most happy to bed them all!

Joyce Lamb said...

Hi, Pamela (and Marie)!
Wow, what a fantastic interview -- as gripping as your books but way more frightening cuz it's real. I've always thought of writing as therapy. Do you find that to be true, since you've drawn from that experience?
I couldn't possibly pick a favorite hero, but since you've left Reece available, I'd be happy to console him. Naked.
Can't wait to read BP!!!!
Joyce

Jennie Marsland said...

Great interview! Pamela, you take the motto 'write what you know' to a whole new level. I can only stand in awe. As for I-team heroes, Gabe could eat crackers in my bed any time!

Amanda Smith said...

I would have to say that I would choose Gabe because Gabe is intelligent,gorgeous, and passionate about everything he does. These are great qualities for a wonderful lover, for me anyway. And, Congrats on the Breaking Point release Pamela!!!

limecello said...

Oof - impossible choice! I do love Reece... but... Gabe. Marc. Jullian. Gah. I can't wait to see what I think of Zach ;)

Okay - since Extreme Exposure is one of my favorite books EVER and it seems he's not getting enough love ;) I'll go with Reece! Reece FTW!

blackroze37 AT yahoo.com said...

when i saw, kick out of bed, i remember a old song,
''you can eat crackers in my bed anytime.'' and i wouldnt kick a iteam out of my bed :)

Pamela Clare said...

It's a party! Cool. I love parties! I went back to bed, dreamed weird stuff, and now I'm up with coffee in hand...

So what I'm seeing here is a trend toward greediness. We ask which one you wouldn't kick out of bed, and so many of you say you want them all.

LOL! Well, hey, I feel the same way.

Blithely Bookish, we have you confessing in public that you're easy. That's fantastic.

Hi, ChanceofBooks — That's a nice approach. Scheduling. Planning is the key to success in any venture, isn't it? Gabe would be fantastic to spend a little time with. He likes to get vertical, but, as you know, he's very good at horizontal, too.

Hi, Landipan, dear — I'm so glad Reece has some solid fans. And you're right about the long hair. In real life it takes the right guy to pull it off.

Laura, I love that ostrich. It's so funny. Or is that an emu? And, yeah, Zach's pretty special. We'll see where you stand after you've read the story.

Betty said...

Ummm..hellooooo?!? I wouldn't kick ANY of them out. In fact, I would gladly move over to make room. Oh wait..scratch that. I'm laying in the way so there is only one place to lay :> As for why..well...that should be obvious. SEXY!!! HOT!!! YUM!!! Need I say more?

Mary G said...

The book kept me up till 5:30AM. I imagine the guys would too LOL.

Alison said...

Happy Release Day Pamela!

What a great interview! Like everyone else I wouldn't kick any of these men out my bed, but if I had to chose ONLY ONE...Marc would be my keeper :)

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, CGCook64 — Now that's a definitive answer. Gabe. I like your idea of climbing. You know, where I live, the sight of sweaty guys clinging shirtless to rocks is very, very common. It's just part of the scenery around Boulder.

As for the break-in, I was pretty much reduced to a screaming ninny. When that glass broke — truly, to this day I see it so vividly in my mind — I started screaming. And that's all I was doing. I was like those women in the horror films you want to smack. But I did stand my ground against them.

Hi, JenM — I hope you have a chance to check out the series. If you like hot heroes and romantic suspense, you'll probably enjoy them. And thank you! I'm glad I got over it, too. It took a while.

Hi, Jodie — It IS a tough question. And a Julian/Marc sandwich — that's a great idea. You just finished UNLAWFUL CONTACT recently, right?

And I think macho-ness works (with the hyphen).

Hi, KittyCat — Another definite answer — Julian! Did you know he has two Kindles out there that are named after him? And thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. Marie is a very fun person.

Hi, CMD — I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. And it's good to see Reece getting some love. He is just the perfect guy. Enjoy your re-read and time with Zach!

AHA, Marie! I knew there was a reason you capitalized all the letters in Julian's name. You're on Team Julian. LOL! Let's see if you stay there or whether Zach can lure you away.

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Ocean Deep Sea — At least you know you want to be greedy. :-)

I'm so glad you like them all. But, I do understand choosing Julian in the end.

Hi, Mine — Another vote for Julian. :-)

Hi, Crystal — You know if you line up all the super-crazy experiences I have, it sort of seems extreme. All this crap happened to one person? My journalism friends say, "Forget fiction, just write about your life." But in a way the I-Team stories are about my life. Bits of sharp reality, mixed with real emotion and fiction. My agent thinks the stories are cathartic for me, and I think she's right.

So, let me try to get this straight... You'd beg for Zach on your knees, no less. But you'd choose Marc if you had to choose between Julian and Marc. Crystal clear. LOL!

Hi, Mary — I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. And that's great about you being on Team RJMGZZZ. LOL!

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Hope — I'm so happy you found Zach to be swoon worthy. I completely understand your not kicking any of them out of bed. But I see you're setting on Julian.

He's going to be a BUSY man...

Hi, Ren — All of the above. LOL! I love your reasons for choosing Marc (as he was in the beginning of the story) and Reece. Sweet, good men. What's not to love about that?

So many people love the prologue to that book. It poured out of my fingers in a single day of crazy inspiration and made my teary-eyed.

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Jocelyn — Greedy! Greedy! (I don't blame you!) Do you want them all at once or separately? You know, five men is a lot of men. But when they're Reece, Julian, Marc, Gabe and Zach...

Yes, Marie, they are a super frisky bunch aren't they?

You fans of Reece would love Marie's Michael from LOVE AT FIRST FLIGHT. I read that a few weeks back and found him quite yummy.

Hi, Chele — I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. It does feel like it's been a long wait, doesn't it? I can't wait to hear how Zach fits in among those other heroes for you. :-)

Hey, Ronlyn — Big hugs to you! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways... later. When I have some time. ;-)

Hi, Tonya — I think I saw that you're reading the story now. I hope you enjoy it! And that's a good answer — you'll go with Marc, but if the others wound up in your bed, you wouldn't kick them out. And thanks! It's an exciting day!

Hi, ShellyE — That's a good way to judge. A firm answer for Gabe. I hope you enjoy Zach and BREAKING POINT.

Hi, Caty — So Gabe is your favorite. Is NAKED EDGE the first I-Team book you read? I have a theory that readers "imprint" on that first hero and love him more than the others, or slightly more than the others, forever. I could be wrong... It's just a theory. I hope you enjoy BREAKING POINT!

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Alyssa — I love that term! Yum-sauce. A new word! I love new words! So Julian's at back for you, with Gabe on deck. Got it. ;-)

Hi, Kristin — So good to see you. You narrowed it down to three. That's something. A Julian/Marc/Zach manwich. That's a lot of man to bite off. But I have faith in you. :-)

Hi, Joyce — Oh, yes, I think the books are therapeutic. There's a scene in UNLAWFUL CONTACT where a bad guy's minion gets his head shot off. That helped me unload a memory of seeing the aftermath of a drug-related shooting in which a teenage boy's head was shot off. As in off. When I wrote the break-in scene in EXTREME EXPOSURE, however, I really didn't feel like the words on the page captured the sheer terror I wanted them to capture. Somehow, knowing what it feels like made me look at the page when I was done (after hours of trying to make it perfect) and say, "meh."

So it's Reece for you. Naked. Fair enough!

And thanks! I hope you enjoy BP!

Hi Jennie — Thanks! That is what they say, isn't it? Write what you know. A lot of journalism is really boring. But I won't write that part. And thanks for your kind words. Another vote for Gabe.

You know, I think he's giving Julian a bigger run for his money than Marc at this point. Wow.

Marie Force said...

Glad you were able to decode the ALL CAPITAL LETTERS reference to my boy JULIAN, Pamela. Drives Aly crazy that I love him more than Reece.

Although, from the sound of it, Zach might be giving Julian a run for his money. I so agree with Mary that Julian has a (middle) leg up with that too-sexy name.

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Amanda — Thank you so much. And thanks for posting and helping me to celebrate the day. Yes, Gabe is all of those things — and they are qualities that would make a man pretty fantastic in bed. So ANOTHER vote for Gabe.

Hi, Limecello — You almost had an I-Team hero meltdown there, but you saved yourself by reaching for Reece. I really hope you enjoy BREAKING POINT. And thanks for stopping by!

Hi, Blackroze37 — That's a straight-up and honest answer — all of them. I had no idea there was a song with those lyrics. How fun! Thanks so much for posting.

Hi, Betty — You are too funny! You don't want to kick them out of your bed. You want to BE the bed. You know, that makes total sense to me. I live with these guys in my head all the time. And they are something else. Sexy. Hot. Yum. That pretty much says it.

Mary G — You're too funny! And I'm sure that's true. Lack of sleep for a VERY good reason!

Hi, Alison — Thank you so much! And I'm glad Marc got a vote in here. He's had a few others but I wouldn't want him falling too far behind Gabe and Julian. You KNOW how these guys get when it comes to competing with one another.

Thanks, everyone! This is fun! I'll be back to check in again soon!

ErinT said...

I would NEVER kick Julian Darcangelo outta bed, because he does that swirly sucky thing with his tongue, and he keeps his woman "clean" in the shower! Oh yeah! Julian all the way!

Pamela Clare said...

Hi, Erin — Those are very specific and very LOGICAL reasons for never kicking Julian out of bed. Very well reasoned, indeed. :-)

Thanks!

Marie Force said...

Erin,
I like your well-thought-out reasons, too, but you'll need to get your hands off Julian. Sorry. He's mine. LOL

Amy said...

Awesome interview, Marie and Pamela! Thanks so much for sharing!

To answer the question...darn, this might just be one of the most difficult decisions of my life! Since all the men are so sexy and skilled, I can't choose one based on that criteria. So I'll have to go with some deeper feelings...
Gabe has a special place in my heart because Naked Edge is my favorite story so far. But Marc won me over in the Prologue of Unlawful Contact with how gentle and sweet he treated Sophie. I'll choose Marc for now, but I'd have a menage a cinq with Marc, Gabe, Julian, Reece, and Zach if I could! LOL :P

Jane said...

Happy Release Day, Pamela. I'm on Team Marc, but I might be changing my affiliation to Team Zach soon.

CMD said...

"f*ck o'clock in the morning" is absolutely the best time of the day! (I'm officially referring to my usual 5-5:30 get-up-&-go-into-lab time as that, hehe) Especially without coffee :)

Hmm... I have to admit that, as it stands, poor Reece (or Zach, Gabe, Julian, or Marc... and definitely all of them together) will be kicked out of my bed by the sheer fact that it's a twin. And I'm a bed hog. So maybe I should invest in a larger bed :-P

Captcha: so absolutely appropriate for my Europeanness, but definitely not PG-13. So I'll pretend to be an adult with a non-perverted sense of humour and keep it to myself. Okay, I so can't: I mean, it's comecok!

Back to the hotness that is Jed/Zach...

ErinT said...

Marie, how about you take Julian on the even days and I'll take him on the odd ones, lol.

Pamela, I just also wanted to say Hard Evidence was the first romance I read, ever! I was normally a thriller lover. I read James Patterson, Dean Koontz etc. I came across your book and the blurb hooked me. Then your suspense writing and sex scenes had me hooked! All I read now is romance! And you were my catalyst!

Pamela Clare said...

Uh-oh! Fighting over Julian.

Typical.

Hi, Amy — You're welcome. Marie made it lots of fun. (She's a very fun person, actually.)

Menage a cinq! I love it! I may have to use that on my blog soon! Way to throw around some sexy French.

See, the first I-Team hero a woman reads tends to be her fave. So Gabe is special to you, but Marc edges him out because of that romantic prologue.

But we know what you really want. ;-)

Hi, Jane — It's Marc for you. We'll see what happens when you get back from Mexico with Zach.


Hi, CMD — Morning is SO not my time. I've tried switching my body clock around -- going to bed early, getting up early. After four days, I was so exhausted. So hats off to you for enduring it.

Yes, invest in a bigger bed. Although I'm pretty sure Reece would find creative ways of sharing that space with you. Think about that for a while when genes start to bore you.

Erin — I feel so special! I was your first. Heck, Julian was your first hero EVER. That is too cool! I'm so glad you discovered romantic suspense. It's more fun that straight thriller fiction because of the sex. OK, that's my opinion. There's just more to the story.

I try very hard not to skimp on the thriller aspects of the story or to downplay the real danger.

Thanks for sharing that! I feel very happy to know that.

Mary G said...

Amy LOL on the menage a many.

Ren said...

Pamela,"all of the above" is such a good option and I'm sure there an option that many lady here will be choose *lol*

Yes, I really love the prologue in Unlawful Contact. The best prologue I've ever read :). If only I have a senior like Marc in high school (alas, I'm not :p)

Marie Force said...

Thanks to everyone who came out to launch Pamela's new book, BREAKING POINT! I hope you all come back on May 28 for our book club meeting on this new I-Team book! I can't wait to read it this weekend!

BTW, Pamela, thanks for the plug for Michael in Love at First Flight. I was some kind of in love with that guy when I was writing him. Mmmmm. :-)

Okay, I digress.

The winner of Pamela's giveaway is.....

CRYSTAL!!!!!!!

Email me at marie@marieforce.com to claim your prize. Please include your mailing address.

Thank you all again for the warm welcome for my friend and fellow author, Pamela Clare!!!!!!!

Marie Force said...

Woops--Breaking Point book club is May 26, not the 28. Don't listen to me!

Marie Force said...

Woops--Breaking Point book club is May 26, not the 28. Don't listen to me!

Alison said...

Congrats Crystal!!