Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Book Club: Crazy for Love by Victoria Dahl

By: Shelly Estes

Let me start off by saying I really, really enjoyed this book!!

Chloe Turner has been mislabeled a Bridezilla. Her fiance Thomas faked his own death by crashing his airplane and when caught, claimed he had to do it to get away from her. Her best friend Jenn decides what she needs is some time away at a tiny resort on White Rock Island that has no TVs, and limited cell phone & internet availability—so they can avoid the paparazzi that have been hounding Chloe since the news of Thomas’ “death”. Once they arrive at their getaway, two hunky guys take up residence next door. They are brothers Max & Elliott Sullivan. Both are handsome and sexy—Max in a greek god kind of way, and Elliott in a geeky kind of way. Max has a serious case of obsessive-compulsive disorder—he tries to protect everyone around him and make sure they are always safe. Not knowing Chloe’s story, he thinks she is just a nice normal girl, but he can’t help trying to protect her from a campfire and a diving expedition with an “amateur” dive instructor. When Chloe gets a look at Max in his diving suit – she mutters “Holy Ass Cheeks, Batman” and thinks he looks like a Greek statue with the ass of a Roman god.

Chloe soon realizes that Max has OCD issues, and gives him a hard time about it every chance she gets, but she also understands why he does it and tries to help him quit cold turkey. Chloe is eventually recognized by someone at the resort as the Bridezilla, and Max decides he just can’t take care of her, even though he has a really hard time not getting involved. Chloe & Jenn escape back to the mainland, and the press continue to harass Chloe. Max just can’t stay away from Chloe and comes to visit her at her apartment, (because he’s not going there to “save” her, he’s just going because they have a physical connection). The press quickly discover his identity and assume that he and Chloe are having a fling (which they are). When Max leaves Chloe again, because he just can’t keep saving the damsel in distress, Chloe gets angry and throws garbage at the paparazzi because she blames them for Max not standing by and supporting her.

Chaos abounds as things come to head when Thomas is arrested for fraud & embezzlement, a romance buds between Jenn & Elliott and Chloe finds out about a betrayal by a former friend. Max & Chloe try to work things out by agreeing to a long distance romance, which only lasts for a couple of months because they just can’t be apart.

This book is full of humor, odd personality quirks and a secondary romance between Elliott & Jenn. It was a quick easy read, with not a lot of angst to weigh it down.

Oriental salad

1 bag broccoli slaw (Walmart usually has near the fresh broccoli aisle)
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C sliced almonds
2 pkgs. beef ramen noodles

Mix together & break up ramen noodles

Dressing
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil
1/3 C apple cider vinegar
2 flavor packets from ramen noodles

Add dressing right before serving. Mix well!!

Italian Beef

If I use my standard crock pot, I use just ½ of the ingredients.

15 lb. beef cubed (cheapest cut-usually chuck roast)
2 large onions
2 garlic bulbs
10-11 pkgs. Zesty Italian dressing (to taste) (must use the zesty Italian!!_
2 C. water

Put all together and cook for 6-8 hours, mashing with potato masher as it cooks.

17 comments:

Marie Force said...

Morning everyone!
Not sure why this didn't fire on time. Sorry about that! Looking forward to chatting about this fun book. I loved the premise of the publicly jilted bride and how she came off as the bad guy in the whole thing. And ohhhh the Sullivan brothers... As a former Sullivan myself, I totally related to them, especially Max and his extreme anxiety--something I know all too much about!

ShellyE said...

Morning! I really liked this book, and had a hard time limiting what to write about it!! I thought Victoria did a great job with Max's personality "flaw" and being OCD myself could totally relate to his issues!!

I just noticed there is an ingredient missing from the Asian Slaw - I usually add craisins to it -- makes it extra yummy!!

Hope said...

I really liked this book. I agree with Shelly, it was a quick fun read with lots of great banter. Sometimes I wish I could escape to a tropical island too!!

Alison said...

Morning Everyone!

I love Victoria's books! I read her first trilogy so when Crazy for Love came out it was an auto buy for me.

Crazy for Love is such a fun read! The banter had me laughing and those Sullivan boys...Yum!

Hope said...

Crazy for Love was actually my first Dahl book, so when I really, really liked it, I got to go back and read her other books. I love it when I find new-to-me authors and they have a good back list :)

Mary G said...

LOL Marie on relating to the Sullivans.

Mary G said...

Shelly
That was a perfect writeup of this book. I thought the premise was crazy but Dahl is an auto buy for me. It totally worked. Love the Sullivan brothers. Max was such a fixer. Lovely to see him evolve. Chloe was great - love a girl with guts. I thought Thomas was such a coward.

ShellyE said...

I read one of Victoria's books in an anthology, and it left me hanging, which I hated, but she is following it up with a trilogy that comes out this year - I can hardly wait to get it because I have to know how the story turns out!! I have some of her past books on my "wish" list on amazon!!

Thomas was a coward, and he deserved to have some garbage thrown at him too!!

krisgils33 said...

I thought this book was so much fun. It has everything....good dialogue, an interesting story, to die for hero, quirky secondary characters...oh, I could go on! Crazy is right! I've read alot of Victoria's books and they are all quite good! I also thought Max's OCD was just a fun personality quirk to throw into an otherwise flawless specimen of man!!!

Mary G said...

I thought his OCD made him so sweet & adorable. I know some might have been irritated by it but his intentions were so pure that I thought it was endearing.

Marie Force said...

This was one of the best "dumping" stories I've ever read. Second only to the "post-it note" dumping of Carrie by Berger in Sex in the City, this one really took the cake.

Have you guys heard of other great dumping stories? Stuff clueless guys have done to get out of relationships?

Kara C said...

Hello everyone!
Life has prevented me from finishing this book in time for book club, but I started reading it, and was hooked by the second page. The first scene on the ferry had me laughing out loud, and I cannot wait to read the rest of this story. I'm so looking forward to more laughs, something I could use this week!
Dumping stories, Marie? I'll have to think on that and check back later.

Judy F said...

I thought I was unloved yesterday. I loved this book. A less then perfect hero had me smiley. THeir chemistry was awesome. I have read all her contempts and just loved them.

The Desert Rocks said...

Does your recipe actually call for 15 pounds of beef?

Marie Force said...

Judy,
You are never unloved around here, girlfriend! Glad you were able to get in today!

Desert, let me check on that, but I'm thinking it's a typo!

Rent Edmonton said...

I am very glad to know about your service.It's very interesting and informative for me.Thanks for sharing.My best wishes are with you.

Rent Edmonton said...

Thanks for sharing and writing this post.I thought it was all very interesting and I don't think I'd heard of that book before.But I will definitely read this book.