Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book Club: One Night Stand by Cindy Kirk

By: Kara Conrad

Weddings can make a girl a little crazy…


Which is probably why Marcee Robbens found herself in the arms of a sexy stranger before the bouquet was even tossed at her best friend’s wedding. And after a night of knee-weakening kisses in handsome Sam McKelvey’s arms, even happily single Marcee is humming the wedding march. So when the sun comes up and Sam hits the road, the usually tough-as-nails beauty finds herself nursing a tender heart…

Sam’s not the kind of guy who would have a super-hot hook-up with a woman he barely knows. But something had him mesmerized—enough for this usually sensible single dad to abandon his responsibilities for one unforgettable night. But Sam never thought his one night stand would turn up as his new next-door neighbor. Or that once he glimpsed the soft side of this captivating woman, he’d find himself falling in love…

Shoes, chocolate, and dimples. Yep, in the first few pages of One Night Stand, Cindy Kirk manages to get in three of our favorite items.

This is a story of two people who have what they both assume is a one night stand, only to find it to be much, much more. Sam is a single parent trying to improve his relationship with his daughter, Fern. He is ‘classically handsome’ or ‘hot and delectable’, depending on which character you choose to listen to (neither option sounds bad, now does it?) While attending a wedding, Sam meets Marcee, who is trying to make big changes in her own life. Beyond these main characters is a memorable cast of secondary characters, some you will love and others you will love to hate.

I read the book several years ago when it was first released, and enjoyed it because of the romance and humor. Now that I am the proud, and often overwhelmed, parent of a teenager, I have a new appreciation for the story! Whether you live with a teen or not, you’ve no doubt heard of their unexplained mood swings and bad attitudes. Cindy’s story also reminds us that teens can be incredibly insightful and, like all of us, do not need to be judged by their appearances.

If you’ve not read this book, you’re missing out! If you have read it, let’s have some fun today talking about the characters and scenes we like best. Cindy will pop in between work commitments, so if you have questions for her, have those ready. Cindy is giving away a copy of her latest Special Edition release, The Christmas Proposition. Find out more about her books on her website.

Now, if shoes, chocolate, and dimples are not enough to convince you to try this book, maybe this will do the trick: “Faster than she could say What the hell? a band of steel encircled her wrist.” Aahhh, nothing says true love like a pair of handcuffs.

As for recipes, a mandatory part of our club, most of you know I am NOT a cook. In fact, ‘Mom’s turn to cook’ usually translates into ‘which drive-thru do we hit tonight?’ However, there are a couple of recipes that are guaranteed hits at my house. Granted, there’s no real cooking involved, but then, that’s just part of their magic. I chose these two because it’s 80 degrees here now and we are enjoying our Spring Break. If your corner of the world has yet to defrost, you may want to save these for later.

PISTACHIO PIE
1 package pistachio instant pudding
1 20 ounce can, crushed pineapples
1 8 ounce Cool Whip
(The recipe also calls for ½ cup coconut and 1/3 cup walnuts, both of which are left out in this house.)
Put pudding mix in large bowl and add pineapple (not drained). Fold in container of thawed Cool Whip. Add to a graham cracker crust and refrigerate for two hours. (My guys also like it frozen.)

BROCCOLI SALAD
4 cups broccoli florets
½ cup carrots, shredded
½ cup sunflower kernels
½ cup cooked bacon, chopped
½ cup purple onion, diced
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
½ cup sugar
Mix broccoli, carrots, sunflower kernels, bacon, and onions. In a separate bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, and sugar. Fifteen minutes prior to serving, add dressing to salad and toss.

41 comments:

Kara C said...

Good morning everyone!
Today's book is One Night Stand by Cindy Kirk. This is such a fun read. If you haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and get it today!
Cindy will be stopping in throughout the day, so feel free to post your questions and comments for her.

Ronlyn said...

Good Morning All! I very much enjoyed ONE NIGHT STAND, which was the first Cindy Kirk book I'd read, but certainly not the last.
I got a kick out of the guy being the one to want more than just one night. And maybe it's my age showing, but I also got a kick out of the fact that he was a dad. :-) Toss in some small town life (hello, former small town girl here) and I found myself both nodding along as well as laughing.

Alison said...

This was my first Cindy Kirk book and I doubt its my last!! What a fun read!! I could relate to the issues in a small town, since I am from a small town.

I admired how Marcee moved back home to her small town to look after her brother and how she started doing things that were outside her comfort zone. I loved her at the wedding on the prowl looking for a hottie!

I liked how Sam wanted to have a closer relationship to his daughter and took a job so he'd have more time with her. It was funny seeing him realize teenage girls aren't always so easy to get along with. He was a bit too worried about what people in town thought about his relationship, but I loved how in the end he very publicly declared his intentions and love for Marcee.

Kara C said...

Good morning, Ronlyn and Alison! Look like all three of us connected with the small town aspect of the story. I think it's safe to say every small town has a Mrs. Applebee, the one person in town who knows what everyone else is doing and can't wait to tell all!

Ronlyn said...

And, sadly, I lived right next door to her growing up. :-P
I used to make my dates pick me up at a friend's house in order to avoid the "nosy neighbor".

Alison said...

LOL Ronlyn!

I don't think my town was as small as yours. We had 16K people who lived there, but people still loved to gossip about what everyone else was up to.

Ronlyn said...

Numbers-wise, your town was smaller, Alison, but that didn't ever stop the gossip. CRAZY. And I hated it. I can't tell you the number of times I got in trouble by my parents for telling someone "don't you think they'd tell you themselves if they wanted you to know?" *batting my lashes*

I don't remember thinking Sam was too worried about what people in town thought of his relationship with Marcee. (Other than trying to keep that part of his life from his daughter.) I'm trying to remember specific examples...
What's coming more to mind is the fact that Marcee didn't want to be fodder for the gossips, so was trying to keep her private life on the QT.

Hope said...

Shoes, chocolate AND dimples?? WOW, how in the world did I miss this book? Sounds like a great story KK, can't wait to download it.

Kara C said...

Hope,
I really think you will enjoy this book. It definitely did take on a different twist for me once I had a teenager of my own in the house!
And, yes, the mention of those three things together made me instantly think of you guys. ;)

Marie Force said...

Morning everyone! I have this book on the Kindle and I'm looking forward to it! I love the premise of the guy wanting more than one night. Sounds great to me!

Cindy, we love "journey" stories around here, so tell us your story, how you came to be a published author! Thanks for being here today!

DiDi said...

I read this book last summer and loved it. I love the older H/h and the whole story was great. After reading it, I found Cindy's When She Was Bad and loved it also.

Kara C said...

Hi DiDi,
I didn't realize until this past week that there were connecting characters in those two books. I'm planning on checking out When She Was Bad very soon!

Alison said...

When She Was Bad is a follow up? I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Ronlyn said...

She Was Bad is the book before One Night Stand.

Yes, I said it: KK read OUT OF ORDER!!!

*bwa ha ha!!!*

Cindy Kirk said...

Thanks for the great comments. I love the interplay of small town life...the nosy neighbors, the comraderie.

In answer to your question about I how I got started....if you can believe it I took a class at a local community college on "How to Write a Romance Novel." I was the worst one in the class...but I was determined to get better.

It took me three years to sell my first book. When the editor called me (to tell me she wanted to buy the book) and I picked up the phone--she said my name...and I thought "telemarketer" but then she told me who she was (thank God I hadn't hung up. lol) and, well, after eleven years she's still my Harlequin Editor today!

One Night Stand was a follow-up to When She Was Bad. I loved Marcee so much I had to give her a happy ending too.

Kara C said...

I KNEW you'd pick up on that, Howe. LOL!
Alison, that book is the story of Marcee's friend, Jenny, whose wedding starts One Night Stand.

Marie Force said...

Cindy,
That's a great story! Congratulations on 11 years with the same editor. That's the publishing equivalent of a successful Hollywood marriage! :-)

I'll check out When She Was Bad before One Night Stand. I can't believe KK reads out of order. I didn't know that about her!

Alison said...

I think I got the impression he was worried about what the town thought since he did try to keep their relationship on the DL and hiding in the pantry I think was a little extreme,IMO.

Kara C said...

Welcome, Cindy!
We're glad you didn't hang up too. LOL!
We're also glad you decided to give Marcee her happy ending. I loved her relationship with her brother.
Did the characters cooperate with you when you wrote the book? Did it turn out the way you saw it in your mind?

Ronlyn said...

ah, Alison, yes. Hiding in the pantry wasn't one of Sam's smartest moves. But, my son Sam hid in the pantry this morning...no joke. Maybe it has something to do with the name? LOL

Johanna R Jochum said...

I have not read One Night Stand yet but I have loved all of Maries recommendations! This book sounds cute and hot which I love! I will be adding this one to my wish list now! Thanks for sharing with us Cindy and Marie!

Mary G said...

-

Mary G said...

Hi Cindy and book club
I loved this book. Sam is such a sweetie and sexy/hot at the same time.

Good post Kara!

Alison said...

LOL...maybe it is a Sam thing! The image of a grown man hiding in a pantry is pretty funny!

Ronlyn said...

Cindy, who are some of your favorite authors? (to read, not BFFs...although you can name them too if you'd like) ;-)

Jolene Allcock and Family said...

I have not read this book but it sounds like a really fun read and am planning to get ahold of it soon. I have so much catching up to do bookwise with you girls :) The plot sounds like something I would love and ironically I love stories based in small towns but I can't stand living in one :)

ShellyE said...

Hmmm -- I haven't read this book, but it sounds like a really fun read -- I will be adding it to my TBR mountain in the very near future! I can always count on the ladies in the book club for some super reads!!

Ronlyn said...

I'm going to take this moment to point out that it was KARA that said, "Nothing says true love like handcuffs" and NOT ME! LOL Ya'll accuse me of ruling gutterville...

Kara C said...

Johanna, Jolene, and Shelly - You really must check out this book.

Mary, Sam is a very nice combination of characteristics, isn't he?

Ronlyn, Good question for Cindy! That always interests me as well. For now, I'm choosing to ignore your last comment. :-)

oklanannie said...

Hi everybody! Thanks to KK for hosting today, a big welcome and thanks to Cindy Kirk for visiting, and as always, thanks to Marie for our book club!!!

I've read both WHEN SHE WAS BAD and ONE NIGHT STAND. Both were such fun books and I love the characters. I'm always in favor of a small town setting (another small town girl here, as well) and sometimes the very best hotties are found hidden away in those small towns. ONE NIGHT STAND brought with it some great characters, some witty dialogue and a tender-hearted storyline.
Note to KK -- I read them in order, too!!! And shoes, chocolate and dimples -- definitely examples of some of my favorites.

VK said...

I haven't read the book yet, but now I'm totally looking forward to it! Great post!

Kara C said...

Oklanannie - Very well put! An author who can add some humor/ banter between character into their story is almost guaranteed to get me hooked. Cindy definitely does that with One Night Stand.

Tempty’s Scattered Thoughts said...

I love When She Was Bad. I found the this author quite by mistake and was taken in by the story line

Tara said...

Hi all, late to the party today. This book looks great, I have not read it, but will now have to pick it up, along with When She Was Bad, I hate to read out of order. Hooray, now two books to look for to read!

Another small town girl here, so Alison and Ronlyn I can relate.

For someone that doesn't cook, those recipes look great!

Everyone enjoy the rest of the week and weekend, and thanks again for another great book club.

Kara C said...

Hey all,
Just checking back in. Glad to hear so many people are finding a new book to read. You won't be disappointed!
Tara, from one non-cook to another, thank you. LOL! Those are never fail items at my house, and two of the few things I don't need help making!

Ronlyn said...

Kara, we have elevated you beyond "non-cooker" right? I'd like to think we have...

Small towns are magical. I sometimes have to think why I wanted to leave it so desperately. LOL.

Cindy Kirk said...

Kara, The characters did cooperate. The hardest part was making Marcee redeemable. She was pretty wild in When She Was Bad. lol

Ronlyn,

Some of my favorite authors to read are Debbie Macomber, Mary Balogh, Susan Mallery, Kristan Higgins and Suzanne Enoch. As you can tell by the list I'm a fan of historicals as well as contemporaries.

You guys were so much fun...thanks for having me today!

Kara C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Force said...

Thanks so much for coming over to play, Cindy! I'll run the names through the grinder and let you know who won!

Kara C said...

Cindy,
I wondered about that with Marcee after realizing she had been introduced in another book. Now, I will HAVE to get my hands on it! Thank you so much for stopping by today. It has been a lot of fun!
And thank you, Marie for giving us a place to talk about our favorite things - books!

Marie Force said...

The winner is:

VK!!!!!

Contact me at marie@marieforce.com with your address and we'll get your book to you!