Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Club: Deadly Heat by Cynthia Eden

By: Mary G
I had Cynthia’s book, Deadly Fear, in my TBR pile for a while. She was new to me. Then the dreaded thing happened. I was in the mood for a rom. susp. and since our faves, Christy Reece, Pamela Clare & Marie Force don’t publish books every week (darn it) I dug Deadly Fear out of the pile. OMG a new found treasure!! What was even better was the timing. It was just a day or two before Deadly Heat released so no waiting between books. Today we’re featuring Deadly Heat. We meet the hero, Kenton Lake, in Deadly Fear so they are both “must reads”. Deadly Heat heroine, firefighter Lora Spade, calls in the FBI to track down a killer arsonist.

Smooth, suave Kenton Lake shows up at a fire in progress where he tries to be a hero. Lora is the one that pulls him out of trouble though he fights it. He doesn’t know “the asshole who slugged him” is a female firefighter until she takes off her helmet & mask. This book literally grabs you right from this first scene. While he’s thinking that she’s sexy, she’s calling him GQ and not in a complimentary way. She gets his name only to want to report him to his boss. This sets up such witty banter between these two. As the ambulance drives away with Kenton & the injured informant he’d been wanting to talk to:

Page12
“Prick.” Lora Spade watched the ambulance pull away in a flash of lights and shook her head. These bureau boys always thought they ruled the world.
God’s gift.
Okay, yeah, he had been hot, and not just because of the flames around him.
But still… a prick.

To say the chemistry between these two is hot is an understatement. Kenton is such an Alpha guy. Lora is a strong kick*** woman. When the arsonist makes Lora a target, Kenton goes into protective mode but never makes it seem that Lora can’t take care of herself. Both are only interested in a temporary affair. I enjoyed the progression to permanence.

While there have numerous discussions on the right balance between romance & suspense in a good rom. susp., Cynthia goes beyond this. The romance & suspense are so intertwined that it is seamless. There is never a thought of – now they’re on the case, and then, okay now it’s time for sex. It’s just all perfectly blended.

There is plenty of everything for everyone in this book. Humor as well as emotion, strong characters, a great plot & and an even better romance. I’ve got Deadly Lies on its way to me and I can’t wait.

Cynthia is giving away two copies of Deadly Lies today, so make sure comment to be entered to win!

Now in honor of the hotness that is this book here’s a recipe for one of our family faves :
Hot Buffalo Wings Recipe
Ingredients
Wings
2 lbs chicken wings (about 12 wings)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
4 Tbsp bottled hot pepper sauce (like Crystal or Frank's Original)
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 Cut off wing tips (discard or reserve for other use such as making stock). Cut wings at the joint. Put chicken wing pieces in a plastic bag. Set aside. Food safety note: when cutting raw chicken it is best to use a cutting board reserved just for cutting raw chicken. Wash thoroughly when finished. Do not let raw chicken juices come in contact with other food.
2 Create a marinade by stirring together the melted butter, hot pepper sauce, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the marinade over the chicken pieces in the plastic bag. (Reserve marinade for coating after the pieces come out of the oven.) Seal bag and let marinate at room temperature for half an hour. When marinating is finished, drain marinade and discard bag.
3 Place wing pieces on the rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for about 10 minutes on each side, until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove from oven and baste with reserved marinade.
Serve with Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks. Makes approximately 24 pieces (about 12 appetizer servings).

55 comments:

Marie Force said...

Morning ladies! Just a quick note to say I'm about halfway through the book and really enjoying it! Looking forward to reading the rest!

Mary G said...

I'm a little grumpy today. My copy of Deadly Lies arrived so I took a break from my Robyn Carr binge in honor of today's post.

I finally closed Deadly Lies at 3:30AM. My alarm goes off at 6:30AM. I just couldn't put it down. Every time I thought I knew where the story was going there was a detour.

My eyes are gritty but it was worth it. Talk to me in a few hours. Book should come with a warning though. Don't read at bedtime!!

Mary G said...

But I'm not mad or anything Cynthia. Hubby might be mad at you but not me. Much. LOL.

katzgalore said...

Sounds like a great book, can't wait to crack it open!

Lauri said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading these. Is there going to be a Book 4??

Alison said...

I loved Deadly Heat!!

Lora and Kenton were amazing! There chemistry was HOT!! I loved how strong and dedicated to her job Lora was and Kenton was perfect! He is a strong enough man to be with Lora. I loved the scene where Kent met Lora's brothers!

LOL...Mary I'm pretty sure I stayed up way to late reading every book in this series!

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, everyone! Thank you so very much for choosing Deadly Heat as one of your book club selections. Thank you!!!

And, wow that is one awesome recipe. I will be trying that one right away. :-)

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Marie!! So glad to hear that you are enjoying the book so far. Thank you, ma'am! :-)

oklanannie said...

Good morning everyone! Great review on "Deadly Heat", Mary!! I am loving the "Deadly" series and so thankful to have found a great new Romantic Suspense author!!

I really enjoyed "Deadly Fear" which started the series off fabulously BUT I really really loved "Deadly Heat." Both Lora and Kenton were extremely strong and defined characters. And that "bad guy" was just plain evil! DEADLY HEAT is hot - it's scary - it keeps you guessing - and it's a great balance of romance and suspense. I've got "Deadly Lies" on my plate to read today -- anxious for more on Samantha!

Am thrilled to see all the 5-star reviews I've been reading on other websites. Hoping for more great romantic suspense from Cynthia Eden!!

Cynthia Eden said...

LOL, MaryG, please tell your husband that I am sorry!! 3:30? I am in awe of your reading power.

Cynthia Eden said...

Thank you, katzgalore!

Cynthia Eden said...

Thanks, Lauri! I haven't written any additional Deadly books yet, but I do have ideas for characters that I'd like to explore.

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Alison! Thank you! Happy to hear that you loved the story! The scene w/ the brothers was one of my favorites to write. For some reason, I usually have characters who are only children (don't know why!) so it was great to explore a full family dynamic.

Mary G said...

I;m in awe of your writing power.
It was awesome & your guys are to
drool over.

Marie Force said...

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks so much for joining us today! After getting a hint of what happened in Deadly Lies, I can't wait to go back and read that one next. I had to put down my iTouch this AM and get to work! I work the day job from home so when I have a good book going that's when the discipline kicks in and I have to put it aside. Hate that! :-)

Now time for some questions for our guest! Because I'm nosy and love to hear all about my fellow authors' journeys in this business, tell us a little about yours if you don't mind!

ShellyE said...

I have all the "Deadly" books in my TBR pile - even though I haven't read them yet, I know I will love them. I am a hugh fan of Cynthia, and have not been disappointed in any of her other books (and I've read all but the "Secrets" series.) I agree that her books are well thought out, and flow from beginning to end. THey hook you at the beginning and don't let up until "the end". Once I pick one up I am tuned out until I get to the end. It's great that Cynthia is our guest today!!

Hope said...

I am a HUGE Cynthia Eden fan, but haven't read the deadly series yet. I have heard so many good things from my book buddies about it though, it has been moved up. Can't wait.

Caridad Pineiro said...

I've got them on my TBR pile also, but I need my sleep. OMG Mary! Thanks for the recipe. Love wings, but want to avoid frying. Must try this one.

ChrisS said...

Both my husband and Son love hot wings. Things recipe looks really good. I'll have to try it. Hopefully while they are eating the wings I'll get some peace to read. Thanks for sharing.

Mary G said...

No problem Caridad. We either bake or BBQ- rarely fry.

I bake the chicken with nothing on for about 40 minutes.
I drain out all the liquid. Then I put on whatever sauces, spices etc
we choose that night. The chicken is still crispy. Last time hubby just cooked them all the
through & tossed them with Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce & served them right away.
They were perfect.

Ronlyn said...

Good morning (it's still morning, right?) everyone!?!

I just have one thing to point out: Kenton has dimples. ;) Check and Mate, I'm in love. LOL

I was giggling at the dinner with the brothers. What a way to be introduced to the family! LOL

Crystal (cmac) said...

Hey ladies,
I read Deadly Fear and loved it! Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to grab Deadly Heat yet. Cynthia's writing keeps you on the edge of your seat for sure.

Marie Force said...

Hi everyone,
Another crazy day at work! Thursdays seem to be crazier than ever lately! :-)

Waving hello to everyone, and Caridad, nice to see you here! Thanks for coming by!

Leagh said...

Hey Cynthia...haven't had a chance to read Deadly Lies yet but it is on my list to read asap :) Love this series. It is so emotional and I love that in a romance book. Great work and cograts on the release!!!!!

Mary G said...

Alison,
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who stayed up.

Hi Anne - all 3 were terrific & hard to put down.

Shelly - you're so lucky. No waiting between books.

You'll enjoy for sure Hope.

Yeah Ronlyn - he had many nice qualities ;)

Crystal - you just wait!!

Marie I wish I had your discipline. I need a nap LOL.

Dru said...

I read Deadly Heat and immediately after I finished it, I was ready for the second one. Of course it sits on my nook waiting its turn to be read.

BTW, I think my book is available for download form B&N.

Was it easier to write your stories consecutively as opposed to writing them with a year's wait for publication?

Melanie S. (Books for all eternity) said...

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to read Deadly Lies yet, but I loved book #1 and I can't wait to enter the world you created again :)
wish you all the best, Melanie

Marie Force said...

Thanks to all our new friends who stopped by today and waving to all our regulars!

I took a pause at lunchtime to read a little more and this made me LOL:

Kenton wasn't sure what he'd expected, but walking into the firehouse on Bringham Boulevard to find Lora wrestling with some sweaty blond bastard really hadn't been part of the plan.

Love it!

Mary G said...

Isn't Kenton great Marie? I love all the guys. Having just read about Max, I wondering if it's short for maximum ;) LOL.

Cynthia Eden said...

Aw, thanks, Mary!

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Marie! Thanks for inviting me to participate! And I very much admire your discipline. I'm afraid I would be very weak willed in that situation!

As for my writing journey...I wrote my first book when I was 18. Such a bad book, but I thought it was awesome. Went to college. Got married. Worked. Had a baby...and realized I'd lost my dream of writing. I made myself sit down and get that dream back. So...it's back. :-)

Cynthia Eden said...

Hey, Shelly! Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy my books. :-)

Hi, Hope! Thank you very much!!

Caridad, thanks for stopping by. And isn't that recipe awesome? I am trying that ASAP!

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, oklanannie! Thank you!! So happy to hear that you are liking the Deadly books! I hope you enjoy reading Deadly Lies, too. Be warned...I give Sam a hard time. :-)

Cynthia Eden said...

LOL, ChrisS, that is a sneaky plan!


Ronlyn, I love a guy with dimples--I just never see enough of them in real life!

Cynthia Eden said...

Thanks, Crystal! Deadly Fear was a fun book to write (they may sound wrong b/c it was so dark, but I loved seeing where the characters were going to take me).

Cynthia Eden said...

Thank you, Leagh!! It's the emotions in the romance novels that got me addicted to the books in the 1st place. I feel like, every time I read a romance book, I fall in love a bit with the characters.

Cynthia Eden said...

Hope you like the next one, Dru! And it was actually easier to write back to back (to back). I could stay in the heads of the characters better and keep the suspense focus going.

Cynthia Eden said...

Thanks, Melanie! So glad you enjoyed Deadly Fear!

:-) Thanks, Marie! Lora can totally take down any guy.

Cynthia Eden said...

Hmmm...maybe it short for that, Mary!

Tara said...

Mary G great introduction and the recipe looks amazing!

I admit I have not read Cynthia's series, yet. But I am sure these books will be downloaded to my Kindle shortly. With all the praise I am sure I'll be hooked! Thanks for joining us today, Cynthia.

Marie, you should get some cut from Amazon for the new reads I am adding to my Kindle as a result of your bookclub.

Have a great end of the week everyone!

Marie Force said...

I can't take the credit, Tara! It's the book club wenches who do the recommending. :-) They know how to pick the winners!

ShellyE said...

They have dramatically increase my book spending budget too, Tara - don't feel bad!!

Alison said...

My book budget keeps going up and up thanks to this book club! Its money well spent though!

michele said...

DEADLY HEAT is a book that will keep you up so seeing what Mary G wrote about DEADLY LIES doesn't surprise me. I haven't read one of Cynthia's books I didn't like :)

Wish there was more books in this series :)

Jolene Allcock and Family said...

I'm late. Why am I late??? Kids are distracting! These books sound amazing. I love finding a book I can't put down, that's the sign of a great read Mary G and my hubby can always tell when he get's home what kind of book I am reading and if I am enjoying it. If it's good, the house is in dissaray, it I'm not feeling it, dinner is ready and on the table when he walks in the door LOL That would be grilled chees, because you know I can't cook :) Can't wait to read these and adding this to my next splurge

Cynthia Eden said...

Hi, Tara! Thanks for coming by today!

ShellyE and Alison, my own book budget is going crazy. I am so book addicted.

Cynthia Eden said...

Thank you, Michele!

LOL, Jolene, kids *are* distracting.

Stephanie said...

This looks like another great book. Thanks for the giveaway.

smccar1 at hotmail dot com

Cynthia Eden said...

Thank you, Stephanie!

Kara C said...

I'm reading Deadly Heat now.LOVED Deadly Fear and was lucky enough to get a copy signed in Orlando this past summer. BTW, Cynthia, I'm pretty sure you are the origin of my son's love of Juicy Fruit gum. ;)

Mary G said...

Using my fave numbers Cynthia would have won her books LOL. So I tossed up the numbers and the 2 winners of Deadly Lies are:

Crystal
Kara C

Please email Cynthia with your addy.
cynthia@cynthiaeden.com

Thanks so much Marie & everyone for welcoming Cynthia.

Cynthia, thanks so much. I had so much fun.

mrsworldwidewebb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrsworldwidewebb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal (cmac) said...

thanks Cynthia!! I can't wait to read it!!

Alison said...

Congrats Crystal & Kara!!! Enjoy Deadly Lies!!