Monday, November 12, 2012

The Book That Almost Wasn't: Fatal Deception's Bumpy Road to Publication

Fatal Deception, book 5, in the Fatal Series hit the e-book shelves today after a long and winding road to publication. In the midst of my 23rd book, something happened that had never happened to me before. I dropped my laptop and FRIED my hard drive, taking TEN chapters of Fatal Deception with it. If you'd asked me when the last time I'd backed up was, I would've said a week, maybe two. It was more like a month. Painful lesson learned. I was also working on one of my Gansett Island books when the fry-o-lation occurred. I very easily recreated the chunk I was missing in that book. Not so easily done in Fatal Deception.

I always say the Fatal Series books are my most complicated. Because they are so bendy and twisty, there was NO WAY I could easily recreate 10 chapters. My brain was resistant to even THINKING about it. Thus, I had to bring in the experts. To make a very long and UGLY story short, it took TEN WEEKS and THREE THOUSAND dollars to recover my ten chapters. Yep, you read that right. Disk Doctor in California got back the missing chapters, but it wasn't cheap. Since my choice was either to abandon the book or pay the money, I paid. During the ten weeks in the abyss, I kept plugging forward with Fatal Deception from where I'd left off, not knowing if the missing chapters would ever be recovered. When I got back the missing chapters, I pasted the whole thing back together and finished it up--in time for the deadline. Minor miracle! I don't recommend writing a book under these conditions. I now have extremely sophisticated backup systems that I rely upon to keep this from ever happening again.

Fatal Deception, the book that almost wasn't, is out TODAY! Here's what you can expect in this latest installment—my favorite yet in this series. Jealous Nick, Kinky Nick, Sam more obnoxious than ever! Fun, fun, FUN!


The wife of the White House deputy chief of staff has been beaten to death, and their one-year-old daughter is missing. D.C. Police Lieutenant Sam Holland is in charge of the murder investigation, but she's forced to collaborate with Special Victims Unit detectives as well as thorn-in-her-side FBI Special Agent Avery Hill. Then, a cold case of her father's resurrects old hurts—a distraction Sam cannot afford.
As Sam's investigation heats up, so does Nick's political career—and the heat carries over to their bedroom. Will Sam put the pieces together in time to catch a killer and find the baby, or will ambition, greed and lies prove fatal?
Get it now at KindleNookiBooksKoboCarina Press
Join the Fatal Deception Readers Group on Facebook when you're done with the book to dish about the story with other fans of the series.
And don't forget: Book 1, Fatal Affair, is FREE this month everywhere ebooks are sold! 
Hope you enjoy the latest installment in Sam & Nick's ongoing love affair!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to retrieve your chapters. We've had 3 computers die in the last 5 years and we still don't backup as much as we should (and we certainly don't have our livelyhood on them). The book downloaded last night and I'm ready to start reading. Have a great holiday season and hope your computer problems are a thing of the past!

Na said...

Congratulations on the release!
I am so GLAD you were able to recover your data. I know how important backing up is but sometimes I don't do it often enough. I backed up a couple of days ago and at least I have peace of mind. Wishing you the best :)

Marcy said...

WOW! I remember when that happened, but I had no idea how much it cost to recover stuff off of a hard drive. Thank you! I'm loving the book so far!

Marie Force said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts and I hope you all enjoy Fatal Deception!

JenM said...

I had forgotten that it was coming out today and was so happy to wake up and find it on my Kindle - now I just wish I could stay home and read it. Plus, I picked up Books 4-6 of the Gansett Island series last week and have already finished Falling for Love (loved Stephanie and Grant).

Marie Force said...

Thanks Jen! Glad you enjoyed Stephanie and Grant, and hope you like Fatal Deception!

TinaF said...

I was wondering what happened to the Fatal series since books for the McCarthys of Gansett Island series kept coming out. I am glad that you were able to recover your data. I missed Sam and Nick.

Marie Force said...

Tina,
The Fatal Series is published by Harlequin and they decide when the books come out. The crash had nothing to do with the timing of the book as I finished it by the deadline. The McCarthys are self-published so I can get them out a lot quicker after I finish them. Glad you enjoy both series! Much more to come for both!

Beth said...

My hubby and I went on our first adults only vacation since the boys were born. On our way to Jamaica I was downloading new books to read on the beach. First one was Fatal Affair and I was hooked! So thanks to WiFi I downloaded the rest of the series and can not stop reading. Just started number four and hope there is more after book five! You are very talented!
Beth

Marie Force said...

Thanks so much, Beth! Yes, much more to come from the Fatal Series! Happy to hear you're enjoying the books on vacation! Make sure you give hubby some attention too! LOL

Teresa Mattice said...

I spent a glorious week reading the Fatal Series and I'm HOOKED!! I'm downloading absolutely everything you've ever written, as you are an amazing author!! Can't wait for more Fatal books, but I will be happily reading ALL of your other works until then!

Marie Force said...

Thanks so much Teresa! So glad you've enjoyed the Fatal Series! Fatal Mistake will be out in June. Make sure you join the mailing list at http://marieforce.com/subscribe/ to be notified when it's available! Thanks for reading!

maritza cabrera said...

OMG...I wouldve died if Fatal Deception hadnt come out!!!! Had no idea that happened, just shows how much you rock Marie!!! Unbelievable to get it out by deadline!!! LUCKY US! Absolutely my fav author..I was hooked since I read the 1st McCarthy! Proceeded to download every single book that you have written...love them all...I cannot get enough of Sam & Nick..The McCarthy's are cemented in my heart!!! But gosh darnit if I dont absolutely adore the Treading Water series...DYING to know what happens with Jill & Ashton...there has to be more!!! Keep writting them Marie, because I for one will keep buying & reading! #FANFORLIFE# obtw all the single books are awesome as well

Marie Force said...

Thanks so much, Maritza! So glad you're enjoying all the books so much. No plans for more of the Treading Water series any time soon, but maybe some day! Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I did. Great book!!
Please let Sam have a baby. Let her have a miracle.