Monday, March 26, 2012

My New (Ad)Venture

Happy Monday! It's a gorgeous day in Rhode Island, a little blustery, but the sun is out. I had a fun and productive weekend and spent some time launching my new formatting service for authors looking for someone to help them prepare their books for electronic publication. Don't worry—I haven't totally lost my mind. I'm hiring some people to help me out with this so I can continue to do what I do best: WRITE!

I've posted all the information about the Formatting Fairies here. I'm looking forward to working with my fellow authors to help them to maximize the myriad opportunities available to us today. I'll also be posting regular tips and pointers, gained from publishing 12 books on my own.

I moved some mountains this weekend on Season for Love, the next McCarthys of Gansett Island book. I'm really enjoying Laura and Owen's story as well as the subplots unfolding for some of our earlier couples. We'll meet some new characters and lay the groundwork for sizzling future romances. Fun, fun, fun as the island hunkers down for a long, cold, cozy winter.

We had dinner this weekend with one of my college friends, and afterward we went to play the slot machines at this ginormous gambling hall that is the first thing visitors to Newport see when they come off the bridge (cringe). I hadn't been in there since I was 17 and got caught (two months shy of 18) by one of my mother's friends, who promptly ratted me out to my mother. At that time, the building was devoted to Jai-Alai, a fast-paced game that's popular in Latin America. Now it's all slots, all the time. I hadn't played in so long, we had to ask how to do it. Sort of embarrassing! Being there reminded me of my late mother who LOVED to play the slots. She was never addicted or anything like that, but she never missed a chance to pull the handle. She'd hate the fact there are no more handles to pull. It's all buttons now, and no quarters to hear clinking into the tray when you win. She loved that part, too. We spent (lost) a grand total of $15 between us, but had lots of laughs in the process.

What did you do this weekend? Anything fun?

4 comments:

Patrizzia Gundich said...

Ohhhhhh can't wait for the next Gansett island book! My scandalous weekend consisted of a thirty-one party (I am a consultant and sell bags) a trip to Sam's club and helping my 5 year old daughter with her young author story. How is it that 5 years olds can now read and write? I'm pretty sure that I was in 1st and 2nd grade.

Marie Force said...

Sounds like fun, Patrizzia! Kids are so far ahead of where we were at the same age. Never sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Bex said...

Patrizzia - I love thirty-one products. I have always thought it would be fun to be a consultant for that company.

Marie - I'm so excited to hear that work on Season for Love is going so strong. I can't wait to see what develops in the latest McCarthy book....

Sapphire16 said...

My weekend was a series of hustle and bustle of things-to-do during spring season. After doing a serious shopping of gardening items in Home Depot on Saturday morning, I had to pick-up my son's bff (another 3-year-old) to free his mom to get to the hospital to be with the sick hubby. So I have 2very busy assistants while working the yard in the afternoon. I had to bully them to go inside the house to clean up before supper. Did I mention that this kid's 4th bday party celebration is the next day? Yes, his mom decided to go ahead with the party. All went well, his dad was released in the hospital a few hours later.

And let's go back to your books!
I am one of those who's been highly anticipating Owen & Laura's story. You raised a question in FB if we (your readers) would like to read about the past couples. As long as it doesn't steal the thunder away from them, it is fine by me. I want to read about the latest love birds, how they will fight the soon-to-be-ex-husband, how their love will blossom because they are (almost) past fighting the attraction between them. As for the past couples, you have already esptablished them in our mind that they are now living their HEA, somehow.