Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Club: 10 Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn

By: Alison Peterson

Hi Everyone!

Let me start by saying I love Julia Quinn’s books! I first read her Bridgerton series and have since read several of her other books and really enjoyed them. Julia doesn’t disappoint with 10 Things I Love About You. Julia is traveling today, but if possible she’ll try to stop in and say hi.

Annabel Winslow is the eldest of daughter of a country gentleman who has traveled to London to marry a wealthy lord to help support her family and send her siblings to school. Annabel fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it has gained the attention of old Lord Newbury. If Annabel has the guts to marry the creepy Earl of Newbury all of her family’s money problems will be solved, but she’ll also be married to a man old enough to be her father. Newbury is after Annabel because “she is so fertile the birds sing when she draws near” and he desperately wants and heir to keep his nephew from inheriting.

Sebastian Grey, Lord Newbury’s nephew, is handsome, quick witted and has quite the way with the ladies. He’s invited to all the best parties, but no one is sure what to do about him. On one hand if his uncle dies without heir he could inherit a wealthy earldom, but on the other if he doesn’t inherit he will just be another untitled gentleman. However; there is much more to Sebastian than just a handsome face and pretty words, he has a secret identity as a writer of gothic novels, which grew from his struggles dealing with fighting in the war.

Annabel and Sebastian meet when she trips and falls on Sebastian who is waiting in a nearby field for a romantic rendezvous. Their meeting begins with a conversation about sunrises and traveling. After hearing about all the places Sebastian has traveled Annabel begins to think about her future with Lord Newbury the places she will never go and things she won’t experience. To make a memory and possibly experience a little passion Annabel asks Sebastian to kiss her. The kiss becomes everything Annabel imagined a kiss could be. At the end of the interlude comes to Sebastian introduces himself, but Annabel keeps her identity a secret. She doesn’t want the man she just kissed to know she is the woman his uncle intends to marry.

During their next meeting, Annabel is introduced to Sebastian as Miss Winslow and he’s invited to join Louisa and Annabel at the opera later that night. Scandal ensues at the opera, when Sebastian and Annabel are seen talking and sitting closely throughout the first act. Sebastian learns Annabel’s true identity later that night when he is attacked by his uncle and warned away from Annabel. Unfortunately, both men stop showing an interest after the incident at the opera and Annabel is faced with ruin.

To save Annabel’s reputation Sebastian begins a fake courtship with her. One of my favorite scenes in the book occurs at the beginning of their “courtship”, when Sebastian comes to call on Annabel with his cousin’s wife. Annabel’s grandmother Lady Vickers makes some inappropriate advances toward Sebastian. Sebastian’s and Annabel’s reactions had me laughing out loud. Eventually, everything comes to a head when Sebastian, Annabel, and Lord Newbury all attend a house party in the country.

I really enjoyed this book! I really felt for Annabel as she struggled with adjusting to the hidden meanings behind the ton’s interactions and whether or not to marry for money. I loved that Annabel was not a silly heroine; she was smart and level headed. Sebastian’s reactions to the other character’s opinions of his books had me smiling throughout the book. I loved how in sync Annabel and Sebastian’s thoughts were; it really made me feel like they had a real connection. This was a great fun read and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

I only have one recipe for you ladies this week; however it’s one of my favorites!

Oreo Cookie Dessert
1 lb package of Oreos crushed
6 eggs beaten separately
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and 1 cup sugar then add well beaten egg yolks. Beat well. Add vanilla. Beat egg whites with the other cup of sugar until firm, like for a meringue. Blend egg whites into butter and egg yolk mixture.
Cover bottom of 13 X 9 glass pan with 1/2 of crushed cookies spread mixture over cookies and place rest of cookies on top of the mixture. Freeze for at least 6 hours before serving

24 comments:

Ronlyn said...

Wonderful write up Alison! My week has turned completely sour (I'm actually glad Marie posted this early, so I know I can comment), and I wasn't able to read this book yet, but I'm definitely moving it to the top of my TBR after reading your write up!

Those elderly, saucy relatives are such a kick in the butt, right?? LOL.

Marie Force said...

LOVED this book! Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say today!

Marie Force said...

PS--Alison, terrific write up and that recipe has me drooling at 7:30!

JenM said...

I just recently discovered Julia Quinn's books and I'm slowly working my way thru her backlist. I haven't read this one yet, but I just read her newest release, Just Like Heaven, and what I love about her books (at least the ones I've read) is how likeable the characters are. It's a pleasure to read and spend time with them. This sounds like that kind of book, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.

Priya said...

First thing first Thanks Marie for letting me know about this,its still thundering but will say what i have to say then log out and start to cook food

secondly as this is my first attempt here so please bear with me and my mistakes

Absolutely loved this book its on my keepers list,me and my sis both are crazy fan of Julia have read each book of the Bridgerton,Blydons,Agents for the Crown,Two Dukes of Wyndham series enjoyed all her books in each series and now this book was absolutely wonderful terrific read

The circumstances that brings Sebastian and Annabel together were
fun to read,enjoyed each banter between these two despite being frenemy still these two are attracted to each how they fight it yet attraction and love keeps growing,with each twist i kept biting my nails what next i wanted to see these two together and be happy and after much hurdles they have their much deserved HEA

Absolutely loved this book and enjoyed each second of it

waiting for Just like Heaven,it was released on 31 May,my sis started it reading she liked it and it quiet interesting ,after her me will read it

Thanks once again Marie,now rushing back to cooking
bye

Alison said...

Good Morning All!

Marie...you need to try that recipe, its so good. The filling after is been in the freezer is like ice cream, so basically its like a big crumbly oreo ice cream sandwich :)

Marie Force said...

Hi Jen,
Nice to see you! I'm looking forward to reading more of Julia's books.

Priya,
Welcome to book club! Glad you survived the thunder to join us! Thanks for your comment.

Joyce Lamb said...

Oh, my, I was thoroughly enjoying the book teaser and then that Oreo dessert recipe scrolled up and I was distracted like it was something shiny. I'm thinking the perfect night would be holding a Julia Quinn book in one hand and a plate of Oreo Cookie Dessert in the other. Luckily, I have a Kindle, so that's actually possible!
Thanks for sharing!
Joyce

Alison said...

Priya, the Blydon series is another series of Julia's I really like.

I didn't realize until after I'd read this book there were two other books in this series. OOPS! I normally read in order, I guess I'll just have to go in reverse this time.

Hope said...

Good morning everyone....don't hurt me, but I haven't ever read anything by Julia Quinn *ducking for cover* The write up was wonderful Alison, so I have added this book to my list of "must try". Thanks for the recommendation!!

Mary G said...

Great write up Alison. This book sounds delightful! I've heard nothing but good things about Julia's writing.

Mary G said...

Cursing you on the recipe though LOL.

Crystal said...

This book sounds awesome!! I can't believe I haven't read it yet. I will get is ASAP!!
Thanks for the recipe Alison.

krisgils33 said...

Great write-up AND great recipe Alison! I didn't get to read this book before bookclub. I was recovering from the RAGT and stuck on a book that took way too long to read! I will definitely read this book someday!!!!

Jolene and Family said...

I'm with you Hope, I have yet to read anything by Julia Quinn, but I enjoyed this write up and I need to look into her books. How exciting, Joyce Lamb stopped by, HI JOYCE *waves hands* I didn't know we needed a recipe, I'm now nervous for my write up which is fast approaching, as you know, I'm not much of a cook. Will a hamburger helper recipe suffice?? LOL I may have one or two things up my sleeve, but I'm dying to try this recipe Allison

Kara C said...

LOL! Joyce, yet another thing to love about my Kindle!
Now that school is out for (part) of the summer, I can pay more attention to the books in my TBR stack. Moving this book up to the top of the list.

Tara said...

Great write up, Alison! Hope and Jolene I might trump you here, I have never read a historical romance. So, would this be a good place to start?

The recipe will be tested this weekend, looks amazing!

Have a great week everyone!

Alison said...

Hope & Jolene you definitely need to check out Julia's books. They are so fun!

Tara you should try a historical...I like them. Historicals are what read when first got back in to reading a couple years ago.

Marie Force said...

I was late to historicals, too, but I find them to be the ULTIMATE guilty pleasure. You have to check them out. Julia's are awesome as are Lisa Kleypas's Hathaways. Among my favorites. :-)

Marie Force said...

From Jackie Kitchens who is having trouble with Blogger:


I Loved this book. Matter of fact Marie is the reason I picked it up. I am now doing rereads of her books so that I can remember all the tidbits about the Smythe-Smiths. I loved Just Like Heaven also.

Julia Quinn said...

Hi everybody! Stopping by from 36,000 feet in the air! I'm on my way to Texas for several booksignings.

Anyway, thank you all for your lovely comments. For those of you who are thinking of trying this (or any) of my books, I have the first chapter of each one up online at my website, www.juliaquinn.com.

Gotta run! Am trying to conserve my laptop battery...

Best,
JQ

Marie Force said...

Hi Julia,
Thanks for stopping by! Safe travels and happy book signing.
Marie

Ronlyn said...

Thanks for stopping by Julia! And from a plane no less...that's a first for us!

Alison said...

Thanks for stopping by Julia! I hope you like Texas!