Saturday, January 3, 2009

Things I Wish I Wrote

From time to time, I come across lines in books and movies that make me say, "Damn! I wish I'd written that!" Here are a few examples...

From my all-time favorite movie Pretty Woman, when they're on their way to the opera....
Vivienne says to Edward, "If I forget to tell you later, I had a really nice time tonight." The look of utter surprise on his face is perfect, and then when the elevator operator smiles... Love it. I wish I'd written that. I've seen it a hundred times and it still gets me.

From my second-favorite movie, The Sound of Music, the scene where Georg is breaking up with the Baroness... When she says "Somewhere out there is a woman who's never going to be a nun." Again, the expression on his face says it all.

Tapping into the Julia Roberts library once again, this time from Notting Hill...
"I'm just a girl, standing before a boy, asking him to love her." Sigh...

The most recent entry comes from last night's episode of Lipstick Jungle. Billionaire Joe tells Victory he gambled big and lost bigger. He's got to start all over, and doesn't want to drag her down with him. He's not sure what to do without all the things he used to own. Doesn't matter to her. "You own my heart, Joe." That scene at Coney Island was utter perfection and was huge payoff for all the Joe and Victory fans who've been waiting for just that moment.

I'll add other examples when I discover them! What are some of your favorite lines?